Friday, March 17, 2006

New hobby

Check it out...I got a new hobby these days...HOME COFFEE ROASTING! You bet yer hiney I said it. I was sitting at my desk at work one day sipping the ole Dark Canyon French Roast from Desert Sun, and thought to myself "Why can't I do this...roast my own coffee. That'd be neat-o".

So, I started chatting with my old roomie Drake on this very topic, as I know he is a coffee/espresso expert. Sidenote...this guy knows everything about anything...he's like that "Dex" guy in the commercials, only doesn't know phone numbers/etc...but rather anything about everything. Doorstops? Yep, he knows which ones are best. Fuel injectors? check. Shoelaces? check. Anyway, I asked if he'd ever tried it and he said no. So, we did some research and BOOM! I am now an official home coffee roaster.

I am going to try this in stages. First, I bought one of these
. It's this old school air popcorn popper. Second, I bought a grip of raw, green coffee beans from Sweet Maria's coffee. I'll give this novice home-roaster thing a go. !I'm sure it'll be fine, but, the summer project will be this bad boy...a home drum roaster made on the BBQ grill

No comments: