
So, when I was a kid, I remember hearing the song "Sentimental Lady" by Bob Welch while either at the gym waiting for my folks, or, in the elevator in some department store. It was a pretty popular song, and pretty damn good in a cheesy sorta "I can't believe I like this song" sorta way. For those that don't know, Bob Welch was actually Fleetwood Mac's original guitar player. He decided to go solo and had like 1 single...yep...you guessed it, Sentimental Lady.
So, I set out to find the tape as a kid, but only came across one of his other albums. It sucked. Every trip to any mall (and in Jersey, there are lots!) I searched the tape bins for a copy of "French Kiss", the album that had this song on it. I finally came across it one day at the Record Setter which was this neat record store near my old house. I listened to that tape over and over and over again. To this day, one of my favorite albums. I lost it one day on a trip up to Vermont and was so pissed. Time passed, and CD's came out. Luckily the folks at Capital Records felt that this gem of an album should be released on CD. I bought it, and, it brought me back to the old days. I've had it for YEARS, and still listen to it all the time. The best track by far is "Carolene". The string arrangements and amazing harmonies on the background vocals are stellar. The album is also littered with Fleetwood Mac alums (i.e. Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Christi McVie) playing & singing. Carolene has 5 stars by me in iTunes, and, currently has a play count of 76! It's even better when you listen to it with big-ass headphones like I do.
I don't know why, but I gravitate towards this sorta crap, and then, will turn around and blast Warzone by Slayer, or, Bring the Ruckus by Wu-Tang.
No comments:
Post a Comment