Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Weight

So this week officially starts the heavy lifting season for me. I've been doing some basic stuff (aka "adaptation") to get ready for these next 3-4 weeks. I'll slowly build up to my 1 RM and do 2 reps. That's pretty sweet when you get there, and you can do 2 of what you used to only be able to 1. (huh?).

Anyway, last night was the first real night of heavy lifting. Cyclists' bodies are not made for lifting more than 16-18 lbs of "bike", but, Frank's program is pretty cool, and it provides results. It's really simple...3 exercises...4 phases (adaptation, hypertrophy, strength, power) and I'm done. lasts about 12 weeks or so, and I usually don't spend more than 1hr (1.5 hrs if I ride at the gym) in there. So, last night's 1st Hypertrophy workout felt great. My back is pretty much healed and now I'm able to focus on getting back to where I was (how I felt) 2 years ago. I've been lifting some heavier weight than last year which is good, and, feel like I'm gonna bust out some good work with the weights. I originally joined the local Denver Parks & Rec rec center near my house, because at the time, i felt it was "sufficient". It has the machines I need (albeit archaeic), and is only $37.00 for 3 months. However, the hours are kind of difficult and often times I find myself going somewhere else on Sunday mornings. Case in point, I went to the DU Ritchey Center this past Sunday, and wow...what a difference! The place is clean, has new equipment, and, a super friendly/helpful staff. Plus, it's got everything I'd need...showers, lockers, yoga, spin, everything. I bought a few 10 punch passes since I only really need about 20-25 visits, and the concept of working out with heavy weights on rickety old stuff just didn't sound that fun. After the weights, I went home and rode from Milan to Alassio, as I typically have to do 1 hr of riding after. Not only does it keep me riding (thankfully!), it helps with recovery. It's not a recovery ride, but rather just aerobic training. It helps clear out the legs which, at this point of the year, is sorely needed. (da dum tis! Thanks folks, I'll be here all week).







One other thing about this time of year, which I personally love, is that I freakin eat like a maniac. My body/metabolism shifts in to Etheropian mode and it simply never gets enough!

No comments: