Hardware:
First up SKS Race Blade Fenders
I picked up a pair of these fenders after talking to Jason over at PPC right after riding in the first snow of the season. Granted there wasn't very much on the ground, it still made it difficult to stay dry from the spray going up my back from the rear wheel, and, my shoes getting pummeled from the front spray. Ziploc bags between your shoes and booties offer zero breathability, and lighter colored cycling clothes make ya look like you just had an accident. Jason hooked me up with a great price on these things, cuz he swore they were the bomb diggity. I took 'em home, and the mounted in a flash! Well...the rear at least...the front fender was a bit trickier. I had no idea that the fenders were essentially "customizeable", so I basically customized the fender with some duct tape since it was still hitting the tire. Jason helped me fit it to a Tee, so, it's 100% dialed in now! I headed out the door. First impression...yeah they're fenders, but I don't care. They're keeping me dry! What's more, they secure pretty freakin' tight to the frame and fork, so there's no stress about them falling off. After riding around for 2.5 hrs in the wet/snowy ground, I was dry...for the first time ever I was dry! You'd think that a fender with such a low profile would struggle in it's protetcion, but not these. They rock! They're only about $50.00, so get on over to PPC and grab some. They're worth a helluvah lot more! Final Product Rating= A+
Software/Clothing
Next up- Craft Rider Rain Jacket
When it comes to cycling in foul weather, the WORST thing you can do, besides get cold, is get wet. Weather it's snow, sleet, or just plain old pain in the arse rain, ya gotta stay dry. My only raincoat for the last 3 years has been the transparent rain cape (aka "The Microwave", "The Toaster", "The Toasterwave"). What these jackets provide in the way of protection from the rain, the completely fail in every other category...in fact, they keep you dry from the rain, but are so barely breathable, that you inevitably get soaked from the perspiration that the jacket henceforth creates. Kinda silly. So, I kept an eye out for some deals, and got an email from Colorado Cyclist showing me their weekly specials. There it was...on sale for 49.95 was the Craft Rider Rain jacket. I read the product summary, and it had the words I was looking for...windproof, waterproof, breatheable, and pit zips. Perfect. I ordered one up, figuring that no matter how "light" the jacket is, I can always wear an additional layer or two underneath it to provide any insulation lost from not wearing a heavier thermal type jacket. Despite the blaze yellow color (which I don't care about), this jacket is everything I could have ever wanted in a rain coat. To this day, I pretty much have been training in it whenever I can't wear a vest. Heck, sometimes I don't wear a vest, simply so I can wear this jacket. It's 100% waterproof, offers awesome wind protecion, and is super breathable. I often forget I'm wearing it! Last weekend, my old teammate Jeremy & I went out on a rather chilly morning. I was going to do some intervals which will make anyone sweat. In the summer, it's easy...you sweat, and you get cool from the heat. IN the winter however, you sweat, you get wet, and you get chily! So, you need the right combination of clothes to keep your core at the right temp. This jacke is perfect. The "air vent" technology that Craft uses quickly wicked the sweat away from my body after doing my intervals. I was warm, but not too hot, which was great. After completing the sets, Jeremy & I rode around for a while longer, and I was so comfortable from a body temp perspective. The jacket's windproof characteristics were more than a match for the wind picking up and coming in off of the mountains. Final Product Review = A+!Adidas Clima Warm Bib Tight w/pad
I've usually been a pretty staunch supporter of NOT wearing tights OVER your bib shorts. For some reason, I can't stand it...it just looks funny to me. I dunno. So, I'd buy tights without pads, and put my shorts OVER them. Silly, huh...yep. It does indeed feel strange. So, I stumbled into a large nationwide bike chain to remain nameless, and went straight back to their clearence rack. I noticed their assortment was rather large, and typically, they are only lke XXL or XXXL tights for gargantuan individuals. I spotted these tights, and to my surprise...a Medium! I tried them on, hoping that, even though they're on the clearance rack, they'd be somewhat discounted...maybe to like 100 bucks or so. To my surprise, they were 50% off! 50% off of $109.00, PLUS an additinoal 20% for whatever reason, so, they came out to only 45.00 with tax. How awesome is that! The catch with these tights is the presence of a chamois. Not only am I against tights OVER bibs...but more so JUST tights. So, I did what any vain, semi-self concsious cyclist would do..cut the chamois out of an old pair of Denver Spoke shorts that are pretty threadbare, and voille. I'm set. Stepping out the door, I'm immediately impressed. The wind kicked up like mad, and I barely felt it. THe tights have some wind/water type panelling on the front of the thighs as well as the butt, and are stitched so they are comfortable while riding, and move along with the natural movement of your body. What? Anyway, the presence of the chamois right next to the skin is also a nice feeling...I mean feature. I've always had a layer of fleeced spandex down yonder, and never really appreciated the chaomois in the winter. Now, I'm a changed man. I must get rid of all of my non-chamois bib tights!! Regardelss, the tights functioned great...they kept me super warm, and when I was starting to sweat, they quickly mobilized the moisture away from the skin. The only gripe is the ankles have no zippers, so it's a bit of a challenge sometimes to squeeze the leg through all the way, but once they're in there, and you pull these bad boys up...it's on! Final review = A. Sorry the ankles...just get me.Other products I bought that I'll review in the next week or so:
Sidi Winter Freeze Road Shoes. Initial impression...awesome!
Cannondale LE Winter Glove. Sweet lightweight heavy duty winter glove. Keepin' them crossed these things work!
Underarmor Cool Gear base layers. No idea about these. We got them as gifts, and I know they're pretty popular with people that do stuff, so, we'll see!Until then... stay warm and dry!
No comments:
Post a Comment