Sunday, June 15, 2008

Winding down

Saturday was kinda normal as far as Saturdays go until about 5:03 pm...then, as stated in the post below, we booked our FRIGGIN TRIP TO ITALY!!! We were originally going to go with a self-guided type of tour put together by a touring company that does the whole "experience", but, we decided what better way to enjoy our new life together than to make it an adventure. I've never been to Italy...heck out of the country. The closest thing is Tijuana, although, I don't know if that counts!?!? I digress....

Upon making this decision, I finally got the green light to purchase a GPS system...FINALLY! I've begged and begged for one for the longest time, and, finally, I am cleared...you have no idea how happy I am. So, I'm gonna use the Motionbased community to help plan the routes, and, eventually download them to our GPS, along with all the directions to our place. Woohooo!! Our plan is kinda simple...stay in 2 main areas and use those as our base of operations for the 2 "legs" of the trip. First stop will be in Bormio, or somewhere in that area, and to hit the Gavia, Mortirolo, Stevlio, Pordoi, Marmolada, Tonale, and MAYBE the Madonna Di Campiglio. We'll see...that's a LOT of climbing, but, coming from altitude, it might be to our advantage! After 4 oe so nights & 5 days in this area, we'll drive to the Lake Como region, and hit the Madonna di Ghisallo and Colma Di Sormano (two routes that I, incidentally) train on in the winter using my Tacx Fortius. THIS will be sweet to compare!). We were so fired up we barely slept that night.

I will warn you, there might be some more Italian as the date gets closer, but, you can always use wordreference.com to translate if you really need to know what I'm saying. Also, I'll post our routes once we figure out the home base(s) for sure.

Today, I met Jayson Teno for a nice climb in the hills. We were originally supposed to hit High Grade Road, but, it was way to hot to be in the sun all exposed like that for that length of time. Instead, we opted for the traditional Deer Creek-->Parmalee Gulch loop. The Rivet performed FLAWLESSLY. I've never felt so agile and quick on a climb as I did today. It was awesome. I couldn't believe it! At certain points, Jayson kinda drifted off the back, but, I know he was trying to make a non-climber feel good :-). He then of course, proceeded to come around me and crank to the top. Always fun to watch a good climber do their thing. Here are a few pics. The day was unreal and got gradually warmer as we rode. This is exactly why I love it here!!!
















When I got home, it was so nice and early, that I was able to start cooking for the week like back in the old days. Typically, I can get done by 4, with, the final meal being dinner that night. Unfortunately I've gotta use the oven, and it's already pretty damn hot in here from the ambient heat. The thermostat reads a balmy 94 degrees, but, then again, it's right by the oven.

Ciao a domani

1 comment:

JT said...

Awesome day bro! Lets hit it again...