Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Campagnolo Experiment

I have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SSC SLs that I ride all the time now, as I lifted the "racing only" ban on them. These wheels are noticeably stiff and light, which I love, and they are typically maintenance free for the most part. Recently they have been misbehaving and making a shit-ton of noisem which is really really annoying over a 5 hr ride period. I've taken it apart and looked at the moving parts, but cannot figure out what the hell is wrong with it. So, I've decided to do a little experiment. I want to try to isolate what the issue is...is it the wheel? cassette (*note the cassette is a Miche, not Campy, but, a Miche-campy compatible obviously)? Something else?

So my conditions will be as follows (with 2 already investigated):
Wheel Cassete
1. Ksyrium + Miche = BAD
2. Proton + Campy = GOOD
3. Ksyrium + Campy =
4. Proton + Miche = (if necessary)

I'm hoping it was the Miche cassette, as I've noticed it more since swapping it out with Amy. We'll see though!

2 comments:

Wookie said...

those Miche cassettes rock yo, ive never had anyone(and ive installed them for at least 75+ people) say they dont work great. perhaps its your wheels...those Mavics have hub issues. They just sound a bit loud because they are all steel and chromed, which makes them last forever. Check your adjustments...maybe you need a better wrench! haha...jk ;-)

Wookie said...

thanks for the support! it means alot!