Monday, January 19, 2009

That's a wrap

Man oh man! Great stuff this weekend.

First off, Christopher & Jim are almost done with everything. They got the texture sprayed on the drywall, and it's so freakin cool how that gets done. Once we paint it, you'll have no idea that it looks the way it did! That night, I sat in some of the worst traffic of my life coming home from work. I get on the highway at Orchard & I-25...pretty much the heart of the tech center. There's an HOV on-ramp lane that is rarely used, but, when the traffic backs up in the "standard" on-ramp lanes, assholes violate the rules and absolutely FLOOR it up this lane. They're specifically made for 2 or more people, busses, and motorcycles. It really drives me nuts.


Anyway, I got home, and cleaned up the area to prep for the weekend organziation for our newest den/room. I ran to home depot and grabbed a few shelving units that eventually really came together nicely (pic below). I passed out pretty early so I could get a good night sleep and prep for the big ride I was doing Sat.


I woke up early saturday morning for a gorgeous day. It was a bit chilly at the 8:30 start time, but, I met Jamie & Darren at the REI bridge and we headed out. The plan was grapevine and whatever else we felt like that day, and, I was very excited because I'd never ridden this road...only heard about it. We hit Golden, and Jamie headed home as his hall pass was up, but, we picked up Justin (a fellow teammate of Darren's, and a very nice guy to boot!) We headed up the hogback, through red rocks, and hit HWY 74 up to Idledale where we stopped for a quick respite. Good stuff! I'd messed with my cleats and position on Friday, and felt MUCH better climbing. I was def using my quads a lot more. Hopefully I can drop in and see Jason real quick for a final cleat adjustment. Anyway, the climb up to the Ideldale turn-off for Grapevine Rd was a bit chilly in the shade. Darren & Justin were turning the pedals over nicely. I was only a little bit behind them and was having a great time just enjoying it all. We hit the turnoff, made a few clothing/layer adjustments and the climb began. Basically it starts off at 11% and just stays that way for a while. It's dirt pretty much the whole way up as well. As you climb up, you're initially in some houses, then, it opens up nicely and the views are really pretty.




Granted, I-70 is just ont he other side of the mountain, but, for a second there, you're pretty secluded. The mountain tops out at 13%, then, it's a short dirt descent (50-100yds) to the paved portion of the descent. I was/am definitely off of my desecending game, but, I blame that on the presence of sand on the road. Yikes! After we climbed up to the I-70/Lookout Mtn exit junction, we hit Paradise Hills to take us up and over to Lookout Mtn for the descent and trek back into Denver. I'd never gone through Paradise itself, but, rather up the other road (name escapes me). This little detour was pretty steep too! It was nice. My one final decision/definite from this ride is a compact crank. Crimeny! Saturday night, we hit City O' City for dinner, where, I jumped into the BBQ tofu wrap. It was a dry rub (Carolina style) with some BBQ coleslaw in a whole wheat tortilla. It was pretty phenom, and, I'm going to try to replicate it at home when the new stove arrives. Afterwards, we went to see Happy Go Lucky, which...to all the guys out there, I recommend you suggest a night out for your lady and one of her friends. It's an ok movie, but, more of a female character study than anything else. There were some funny parts, but, nothing that really appealed to me. I give it a 6...ain't no slumdog.


Sunday we headed up to Erie for the Sunday fixed ride. I was pretty blown out from Saturday's ride, but, really wanted to fixie it to polish off a great week of training. Unfortunately Mike's knee was bugging him, so, he turned around within the first 30 minutes and headed home. I captured the true essence of our ride though in the following 2 videos.










No comments: