Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Wrap

This weekend was grrreat!

Friday night we hit the art walk and checked out some great stuff up by the Art Museum. Started with dinner at Pint's Pub, which, was pretty decent, but then…oh man…closed the night with Lemon Poppyseed cookies up at City oh City…SCHWING!!!

Saturday I hit the HART team ride for a bit, and braved the wind heading home on my own. It was the perfect day for windsurfing…not riding. Weather was nice though..

That night though…it was ON! My bro in law Jason & I caught Genesis on the Turn It On Again Reunion Tour. Now, Phil Collins is my all-time #2 favorite drummer..sandwiched between John Bonham & Art Blakey. He’s got the rock skills of Bonzo, but, the touch of a jazz player. It’s just amazing to listen to what he can do, and moreover, WATCH him do it. He’s so underrated as a drummer because people know him only for Sussudio :-s. Anyway, as a drumming nerd, I usually go to concerts and scope out the gear first. As usual, he was playing his typical 1 headed Gretsch kit (with battleship grey interiors of course!)…4 rack toms & 2 floor toms. His cymbal setup was classic with his large crashes and big ole ride cymbal (all Sabian HH). I actually bought a Sabian HH Raw Bell Dry Ride because I know he uses one. His older setup was on Zildjian’s, and, even before that, he used Paiste 602’s. I am OBSESSED with his drum sounds…nothing beats Abacab for the quintessential Collins drum sound. The ride cymbal on Keep It Dark was my first introduction to appreciating his sound…ok ok shut up. Anyway, I went into this show knowing the setlist, because it’s no secret it’s been IDENTICAL the entire tour. The coolest thing about it was the presence of mostly vintage songs….most of which were instrumentals/jams:

Behind the Lines / Duke’s End / Turn It On Again
No Son Of Mine
Land of Confusion
In The Cage / The Cinema Show / Duke’s Travels / Afterglow
Hold on My Heart
Home by the Sea / Second Home By The Sea
Follow You, Follow Me
Firth of Fifth / I Know What I Like
Mama
Ripples
Throwing It All Away
Domino
Drum Duet / Los Endos
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight / Invisible Touch
~Encore~
I Can’t Dance
Carpet Crawlers

There was no break in the set, and they didn’t need it. The highlight of the night for me, of course, was the Drum SoloLos Endos. HOLY CRAP. It’s one thing to see him play/jam out on songs like Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show, but a DRUM DUET with Chester Thomson into Los Endos is just nuts.


Los Endos from (what I believe) to be the Seconds Out album.


Now mind you, these guys are old…no question, but they still sounded amazing. I got goose bumps from the drum fill in Duke’s end. YIKES!! The Van Halen reunion is DEFINITELY next. Hopefully they’ll swing through here.

Sunday, I did the MOB ride and sorta bonked on the Lookout portion. After eating I felt way better, but man…that SUCKS!! After getting home, I ran a few errands, but, mainly started cooking. Vegetarian times has been pretty good to us lately. In fact, all of our recipes for the last 2 weeks have come out of the October 2007 mag. This weeks delicacies are:

Ceaser Tofu Wraps
Pinto Bean tacos
Winter Harvest Roast

Tofu wraps are simple…sort of a knock off of City O’ City’s Caesar Wrap, only I believe they use curried tofu. We used panko crumbs with some parm cheese, and, coated them twice. Damn! They got a bit soggy the next day, but still delish. The Winter Harvest Roast was INSANE! Basically you take an ass load of squash (winter, acorn, butternut, etc), parsnips, carrots, onion and some garlic, cut it all up on the diagonal (mincing the garlic), throw in a bunch of fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil) some Olive Oil, and bake it for about 30 minutes or so in a big ass baking dish in the oven @ 450 for about 35-45 minutes, depending on how done you like ‘em. Talk about fragrant and hearty foods! Shheeeite. I haven’t had the tacos yet, but, they have pinto beans, soyrizo, and some goat cheese (along with tomatoes, red onions, and shredded lettuce). Those’ll be sometime soon.

We’re going to *try* to get into the Djarleeling Limited tonight, but it’s like a free screening. It’s just around the corner from the hizzy, so I’m sure we’ll make it. If not, we can watch the Sopranos! We’re on season 3 episode 2…I’ve seen the 2nd half of this season, and, the entire 4th, but not these episodes. It’s so friggin good.

No comments: