Friday, December 21, 2007

Jesus! I'm on pins & needles,

So I've been experimenting with treatments for my back, and decided to finally pull the trigger on accupuncture about 2 weeks or so ago. I'd always wanted to try it, but never could get a good recommendation for a local person. Amy had used this one guy named Matt Hillman when she was dealing with arm pain from mousing and editing a lot, and, she said he was great. I was a bit leary about the treatment, but, like I said, I'd always wanted to try it....so I did. I went over to the Healthmark facility, which, is pretty nice, and is a very holistic sorta place. I felt pretty comfy there. When Matt came out to get me, I started to get a little nervous, because I just thought..."needles". He sat me down in a chair, and grabbed a little history about the injury. After that he proceeded to grab a handful of the accupuncture needles, and sat down in front of me. He asked me to stand up, roll up my sleeves, and started probing my forearms. As he pressed on a few spots, he'd ask if it was sore/tight. When I said yes, he took the needles and popped them into that spot. He did this about 6 more times so I had about 3-4 needles in each arm. After I stood there for a few minutes, I started to get nauseous. In fact, I started to puke. I said to him "I gotta sit down man". You know what that feeling is like...when you know you're gonna pass out or something close to it. Everything starts to get white, your pulse shoots up through the roof, you get that wierd taste in your mouth, you get the sweats, and, eventually, hit the deck, or prepare to. Anyway, I sat down in the chair, asked for a garbage can, and proceeded to dry heave into the can. I was wrenching, I was "puking" so hard...it hurt! After a few minutes of this, I came back to, and he started to remove the needles. Wow. My hands started rushing with heat and blood, and, buzzing! He then had me lay down on a table, and started to check for spots on my shins and feet, and again, put the needles there. My legs started twitching like crazy, all involuntarily! He left me there for about 30-45 minutes checking in on me every now and then, and I eventually dozed off. Every now and then I could feel my legs jump a BIG jump, and I laughed. He came back in,took the needles out, and had me step down from the table to do a few movements. Wow. I hadn't felt my legs like that in over a year!!! I was balanced, and feeling very "even". The next day, I felt like a CHAMP! Of course, a few days later things started to decline, but, I felt like I was able to adjust myself a lot easier.

I went back to Matt a few more times, and the results were better and better each time. During the most recent appointment, I asked him about putting the needles in my actual low back/paraspinal muscles. The spasm that is stuck in there is basically causing every bit of discomfort I have, simply because it's throwing everything below it out of whack. He obliged 100%, and put the needles where he needed to. Ironically, it was in every spot that I feel discomfort...Low back, right along my left glute, down the IT band, shin, and ankle. After he put the ones on my thigh in, my leg FREAKED out! It was like I was on a TENS/stim unit, and I could see my leg contracting repeatedly....all from sticking the world's smallest needle into a specific piece of fascia. NUTS! He kept the needles in a bit longer than usual, because we were initiating such a response. Once the treatment was done, the needles were removed, and I tell ya, I felt COMPLETELY different. This was what I wanted to feel like...I NEEDED to feel like! I'm going back for 2-3 more treatments, than I should be good. The biggest thing I have to do though, at least to prolong the treatments, is get my ass back to yoga. I haven't gone in probably 2-3 months, and I feel it. I'm pretty inflexible right now, and it is definitely allowing my injury to persist. I'm building some sequences for myself, but will attend a class as well to get back into it. I'm thinking 2x/week will be good. Mondays on the off day, and MAYBE Thursday evenings if Thursday or Friday is off. One of the 2 sessions will be at home for sure to save the $, but, the class setting is always helpful.

In other news, I watched Jesus Camp on Wednesday night. Wow. The cinematography, editing, and subject matter were so well done. The soundtrack was great too. However, the subject matter is quite frightening. VERY FRIGHTENING!!!

1 comment:

JT said...

Yo dawg, I was using Acupuncture/Traditional Chinese medicine all last season. Its the real deal, enjoy the balance! Glad to see you keep'n it real.