Monday, February 04, 2008

Time for the review...

Well, I waited and waited, and blogged and blogged about it...so...here goes. Song by song review of the show...

01. You Really Got Me
Pretty sweet opener. The mix was a bit off, and everything sounded sorta crunchy together. DLR's mic had bad feedback, and, in some cases it sounded like they messed up on coming in on the one. DLR's vocals sounded good, but you could tell it wasn't 78-84.
02. I'm the One
Awesome. Was played a bit faster than usual, but the guitar was just amazing. AMAZING. They stopped right before the accapella breakdown in the middle, LITERALLY ON A DIME. It was amazing how tight they were. Dave & Eddie did some on the spot "freestylin'" with Magic Bus. Pretty cool. They came back in and just rocked it out. Alex messed up on the 5-stroke rolls coming back in from the breakdown(!??!!) but they fixed it fine.
03. Runnin' With the Devil
Pretty good. Vocals again, were off, and the sound was too muddy.
04. Romeo Delight
WOW. They tore this one a NEW one!! Sounded amazing. What a surprise to hear this. Dave even did some reverse crane kicks to end the song!
05. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
So-so. Vocals were poor, and he couldn't hit all the notes, so he barely sang. Alex messed up again(?!??!!)
06. Beautiful GirlsMeh, not my favorite song, but Wolfgang & Eddie's backup vocals sounded good. I'm convinced they pumped Michael Anthony's vocals in the background
07. Dance the Night Away
Alex screwed up the cowbell intro. Bummer
08. Atomic Punk
AWESOME. I finally saw how Eddie got that metal-saw sounding intro on his guitar. This song kicked butt
09. Everybody Wants Some
AWESOME. Love this song. One of the highlights
10. So This Is Love?
Great. Dave even hit the high notes at the end!
11. Mean Street
Again, saw the intro with the guitar. It was awesome.
12. Pretty Woman
WEAKEST SONG IN THE SHOW. WEAKEST SONG THEY EVER DID.
13. Drum Solo
Great solo! Didn't like the use of triggers though. I tell ya, this guy looks AWFUL, but can still play.
14. Unchained
Great...as expected!!!
15. I'll Wait
They pumped the keyboards into the sound mix. They mighta had someone back stage playing, but, it sounded pre-recorded.
16. And the Cradle Will Rock
Great! I really have come around on Women and Children First as an album, and I never really realized how good it was.
17. Hot for Teacher
10000000% redemption for any flubs Alex had previous in the show. HOLY SHIT. His double kick chops sounded fresher than the day the song was orignally recorded!! They ROCKED this. Again though, Dave's upper level registers were a bit limited.
18. Little Dreamer
Sounded good, but a weak song in the setlist
19. Little Guitars
Love this song, but they butchered it. Bummer
20. Jamie's Cryin'
Again, redemption. Everything was spot on for this.
21. Ice Cream Man
Dave told a story before this about the root of the song. Then, they proceeded to rip it up. He played a 12 string electric/acoustic during the story and his intro. Great
22. Panama
Fuckin' A do I love this song. Even if Neil Diamond played this it'd sound great. AWESOME.
23. Guitar Solo
Amazing, but a bit drawn out. Maybe linking them together as a medley, instead of playing one, ending, smoking a cig then starting again. I sat down, but was still blown away
24. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Dave's vocals were HURTIN' during this one.
ENCORE:
25. 1984
26. Jump
Great closer.

All in all, I'd say it was the "experience" that counted. I always wanted to hear/see them live. Granted, this is like 35 years (jesus) after they started, and they're older; and they look it. From a quality of show perspective, the setlist was awesome as they covered all the great ones, and even a few rarities (i.e. Romeo Delight!). The quality of performance piece left a bit to desire, but, I blame the sound crew for that. Sure, Dave's vocals didn't sound great, but I wasn't expecting to hear all the crazy screams...just what he could do. He executed flawlessly, but he IS showing his age. All of 'em are. However, that doesn't take away from the experience itself. For that, I give the highest of ratings. I got what I paid for, and enjoyed every minute of it. On the average, I'd give it an A-, borderline B+.

No comments: