Monday, April 07, 2008

Kopp a feel...

So yesterday was the first real ACA race of the season at the Koppenburg. Basically, it's a 5 or so mile circuit race with about 50% dirt, 50% pavement. It's usually the fastest and most spirited race because it is indeed the first one. Some guys come out firing on all cylinders so they can race the Tour of the Gila in about 3 weeks, others are about half-cocked and loaded making this their first real race of the season. I fall in the 2nd category obviously. I've done this race a few times already, and pretty much stand by my credo that I'll do almost any race twice, and, if I decide it's not for me, then I usually don't go back. There are exceptions though, like Mt Evans...which I'll NEVER do. Anyway, this was my 3rd time doing this race, after taking last year off. I had a 100000% blast fun time and that was my goal. Unfortunatley I flatted on the 3rd time up the Kopp hill so, my day was over. It's no real heartbreak as I was very much out of any sort of remote contention for a result, barring an earthquake that would've fractured the road, and swallowed up the main group. The bummer part is that I was on the WAYY backside of the course, so whether I walked on the pavement, or the dirt, I was pretty far from the line. Luckily I saw Gibson from MOB, and he lent me a wheel to ride back to the car. That was HUGE...thanks Gibby!

All in all a great time and a great ice breaker. As I've said in an earlier post, getting my ass kicked at this race is good as it usually gets me fired up to want to kick butt in everything else. Lots of racing still to come and lots of racing I will do. In fact, there is a race every weekend between now & May 10th that I'll be at, including all but 1 Cherry Creek event! AWESOME

No comments: