Ok..so, there is obviously an issue with the high gas prices, and no doubt, everyone is feeling the pinch. While it sucks to own a car that gets sub-par gas mileage, I can imagine that the bicycle industry is getting a shot in the arm as far as revenues go (I hope!), because more and more people are finding alternative methods of transportation.
When I ride into/from work, I notice significantly more riders on the path...some with panniers, most with backpacks, and others with their stuff somewhat attached to their bodies/bikes. You can tell who the seasoned commuters/cyclists are, and, who the newer participants are simply by their speed. Most commuters are tired from a days work and commuting in over a long period of time...so, they kinda just have almost no expression. Plus, their stuff looks used (in that good way...like...they USE it), and somewhat weathered. The newbies have fresh new backpacks and commuter/hybrid sorta bikes, or, rusty old mountain bikes they picked up somewhere left on an apartment balcony to rust in the rain. Most of the time, the seasoned vets are just kinda riding along, while the newbies are speeding, making stupid (and VERY dangerous) decisions to pass people, weaving in and out, and half the time aren't looking where they're going.
I also notice more people riding with iPods, and, having blatant disregard for the safety of others around them. These two conditions are independant of each other, and don't necessarily occur at the same time, but, often, they do. I notice people speeding around blind corners, trying to pass people at the worst possible opportunity, and, iPod/earbuds in their ears not listening to the folks around them. There are a few trouble spots on the commute route in that I try to avoid, simply because I've seen to many wrecks and reckless riders almost kill me...literally.
People are used to being in their cars driving to work with their radios blasting, and, pretty much oblivious to anyone outside their car's metal shield...so, they kinda do whatever the hell they want. That attitude seems to be transfering itself over to the cycling/cyclo-commuter world with iPods, speeding, passing, weaving, the disregard for traffic laws, and, overall safety. I'm not saying every new commuter does it, nor am I saying that every seasoned commuter is an angel...all I'm saying is that people have become so numb to being courteous and safety-concsious these days, that eventually someone is going to really get hurt. The backlash is undefined, but I can definitely foreshadow that the somehow, the process of riding your bicycle on the local paths as we know will become more regulated.
All I'm saying is, let's just keep it safe, and be smart out there people...it's our lives and we get 1 chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment