Ok...so time for the new bike review...
First off, upon taking the frame out of the box, I was seriously shocked as to how light it was. I mean let's face it, the Primus was a tank, weighing in at 1250g for just the frame. It was a damn nice bike though (consequently, I've decided to hold onto it for sentimental reasons, and, to have a crap weather/winter ride along with the SS surly). The frame for this thing is only 1030g. Pretty sicko. So, besides the new frame, I had Jason at PPC completely gut my Campy Record shifters and replace all the springs. On his own decision, he replaced the plastic carrier for a metal one, providing a bit more durable of a part, and, it's that kinda friggin un PARALLELED mechanic work/customer service that keeps me coming back everytime. It's like he thinks ahead of the game, but smart. GENIUS.
The geomoetry of the VD is a bit smaller than the Primus. I was running a 56.3 TT with a 110mm stem, and felt a tad stretched out. I mean, I was comfy, but you know there's that "cusp" of...Am I too far forward? So, the TT on this bad boy is 55cm, and the stem is the normal 110mm. (We originally put on a 100mm, but I felt like I was riding a penny farther!). Once complete, he told me to take it around the parking lot/Lowry complex to see what I think.
Initial reactions include anyof the following...in any combination:
1. Soiled Chamois
2. Perma-grin
3. Lycra Tent
4. Comfortable
When I first pressed down on the pedals, the bike immediately started to take off on its own, as if it was like a dog pulling a leash...let's go let's go!!! That way?! Ok! Power transfer from a dead stop was noticeably faster and the bike was also a heck of a lot stiffer, propelling me forward even that much faster. Once up to speed, I took a few corners on the thing...albeit a tad sweeping, in old Primus cornering mode, and found myself coming even cleaner and tighter through the turns without effort. The frame sorta gave that slingshot effect too, where you're like woah...how did I get here already? The uber stiff/beefy chainstays assisted in my acceleration out of the corner, and I could really feel that frame waving it's carbon finger at me saying..uh uh...no flexing here dude. The head tube is tapered as well in that it starts at 1 1/8" and flares out to a wide 1 1/2...similar to the Cannondale concept. It provides very little vertical compliance when out of the saddle cranking on the bars, and is like sprinting into a brick wall when you get it up to speed. It's pretty dope.
So, that was the parking lot "ride"...what about the real world? Hills? Flats?
The first thing I notice in the hills, again, is the power transfer to the rear wheel. The tubes on this bike are not just oversized...they're supersized. When Edwin Bull called Taiwan or China to give htem the specs...he said, yeah, I want fries with that, and, make mine a Biggie. The Primus was stiff, but took a while to get going. Once it did it was like a tank that made me feel rather invincible. The equation for momentum is weight 1 + weight weight 2 etc...Well, my weight + the Primus weight gives ya a lot of momentum. With the Rivet though, I find that it's faster to get it going, and even easier to maintain. It is twitchy, but I think that comes with the territory of being a new bike, and, 1 size smaller.
The inaugural ride was out to Golden this past Saturday in a semi-group setting. I noticed right off the bat as the pace picked up and I pedaled harder & faster to hold the wheels in front of me, that the response was so much quicker than I felt the day before in the parking lot. As we crested a small climb, again, the bike effortlessly pulled me over the top and immediately descended like a rocket. During the ascent, I was out of the saddle and did not feel as if 1 ounce of effort was wasted. I was able to use a decent sized gear and as I stressed the bike from side to side, it only went straight that much more. I was having a blast, and, i knew the bike was too. It was like one of those dogs you see with their heads out the window...tongue flapping in the wind, big smile on its face...just happy to be out of the house and going SOMEwhere...even if it's to the vet. The bike pegged every corner and sweeping turn on a dime, and due to the semi-compact geometry, it just went faster and faster each tick of the pedals. The fork is super burley, but was so responsive that it really surprised me when I took a 90 turn full speed and held the line.
Ok, well, there's all this great stuff, but let's be realistic...what don't you like? Literally, nothing. The ONLY thing I can comment about is the headset comes loose quite often. I think that's just a symptom of it getting broken in, but, I'm not sure. Oh, and maybe a few more size options? Meh, I don't care about that really. I just wanna ride the damn thing!
Ps shut up richard..
1 comment:
I just ran across your blog and am proud to see another Van Dessel in the Denver area. I ride an '04 Campitello. Mine's a bit beaten up compared to the Rivet but it's great none the less.
Post a Comment