Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pack it Up, Pack it In

This weekend marked T-minus 7 days until the big big day. So friggin excited!

Saturday, I rolled out for an early morning ride with Jordo, Darren Albert (good drummer buddy...ex-Dressy Bessy drummer and all around super nice guy), Chris Cummings (new to me, but a nice guy none-the less. Pretty funny too...), and Eric Truman. We met at Bang at 8 for the usual pleasantries (which of course include calling each other fat, or, other depricating comments). The goal that day was to complete a ride I hadn't done in very long time...not since I trained with the Pedal Pushers guys a few years ago. We hit Deer Creek Canyon, then over to North Turkey Creek Canyon, and, eventually up (and I mean UP) High Drive. Lovingly referreed to as "(Are you) High Drive", this road is pretty damn steep. It averages about 10%, and, hits 17 % in some spots. YEOUCH! The views here are a bit different than other rides in the area like High Grade, or, Deer Creek even. Rather than trees and large rock faces kinda front & center, this road has more of a "swiss alps" sorta feel to it in that, you ride through a few small subdivisions scattered along the side of a nice sloping hill. (Yeah, I Know...how the heck would I know what feels like the "Swiss Alps?"). As soon as we hit Deer Creek canyon, the pace picked up like gangbusters. Jordo & Chris shot off the front for a little mano e mano challenge, while Darren & I limped up with our sore backs. We ran into a few fellow riders up there and exchanged pleasentries akin to those at Bang. Once we descended over to High Drive, the REAL fireworks started. As soon as we hit the first 10% section, Chris & Jordo just SHOT off the front. As I looked up, I could see Jordo out of the saddle going at it with Chris. It was pretty neat to see them whooping on each other...man if I could climb like that! The High Drive road weaved and turned for about 3-4 miles (at least it felt like it) up 10-17% grades, and, we were treated to one of my favorite descents in the area. The view is pretty sweet. I got home to do errands, but, was so tired, as I got up very early to ride. I ended up falling asleep for who knows how long (yeah, one of those naps), and, felt so good after. That night, Amy & I stuffed envelopes and got the welcome bags ready. We got a call from our friend Dave Crowe who invited us out for drinks and maybe some food. We hit Billy's Bar over on 44th & Lowell, and I gotta tell ya...BEST TACOS IN TOWN! They re-did the place (significantly!) since it used to be a nasty stinky ass biker bar. Check it out...great food.

Sunday Amy & I rolled up to our home away from home to Mike & Kelly's for a ride. It was the first real crappy riding day of the year, so, we opted for something a little more mellow, and just hit the stone cup in Lyons for a cup of too-sweet Hot Chocolate that I couldn't even drink, and, some delicious banana bread with chocolate chips. After we returned to M & K's, it was time to pack the bikes up for Italy!! We took our time, and, some documenting photos to refer back to in the Milan airport for our departure back to the states, and had a great time.

Later that night, we finished up some more welcome-bag packing, and, when my head hit the pillow, I was done.

This week is going to be nuts, and, with our trip coming up, I doubt there'll be any entries for about 2 weeks...but...when we get back...MEGA!!!


















No comments: