Sunday, September 07, 2008

Where to begin!?

This weekend was great! Here's a quickie recap.

Friday we celebrated our friend Dawn's birthday over at our buddy Georgina's house. George (as we call her) was the one that actually set Amy & I up. I still have the original email she sent me asking me about Amy. JUUUST like High School! The crew we all run with is so much fun, and, it was great to see some people we haven't seen in a very long time. Once it was time to celebrate the party with cupcakes/etc, it defintely got interesting.

Saturday, I woke up and rode with Tropical Storm Hanna & Jordo. We decided to hit Golden Gate Canyon.I personally had never been up that way, but have heard many folks talk about it. I'd compare it to the Lefthand Canyon-to-Ward Ride in it's length, but, from what I understand, it's a lot tougher towards the end. The climb starts out around 5-7% and is twisty turny for about 2-3 miles. It gradually eases up to about 3-4% (some spots of 0 & 2), but quickly kicks up again...then back down. I will tell you the views/area are insane. It's really gorgeous and feels very secluded. There is very little shoulder on the road, however, I noticed that most individuals were pretty good about respecting cyclists, unlike Deer Creek where there IS a shoulder and they still try to run you over (assholes!).

Hanna and Jordo absolutely flew up the hill and left me in the dust (imagine that!). However, i was feeling pretty good, and probably sweet spotted/tempoed to where they were resting. I haven't climbed like that in a VERY long time...at least FELT like I could climb like that. It was really a great feeling. I took an extra day off this week from commuting, and just rested, which made the difference for sure. The weather was a bit chillier than normal, and the descent made me wish I hadn't left my vest back at the house, but, regardless, had had a smallish wind jacket I threw on. It helped take the bite out for sure. We ran into Amy & her riding posse on the way home, and, started back with them. The Golden Gate climb suddenly reared it's head and hit me on that short small rise out of Golden after you pass under the "town sprint line" for the MOB ride. I more than happily obliged to ride with Amy back to the house, as those 2 guys disappeared into the distance...sheesh they are just so damn fast!

Later that day, some friends threw us a small surprise wedding shower. We were kidnapped and blindfolded by Mike & Kelly, taken to Wash Park, and fed copious amounts of DELICIOUS Whole Foods goodies. Our friends are truley the best, and we felt so special. My sis & her family came down which was really fun. I got to see my little nephew Riley, and wanted to gobble him up he's so damn cute!

Sunday, I woke up feeling a bit knackered, but, decided to ride with Jordo & Hanna again. This time, we went up North. This ride was a LOT flatter than the climbing rides I do with them, and was able to hang for about 95% of it. I haven't ridden that fast in a group in a very long time. I felt soooo frickin' good. The human body is pretty amazing once you train it...I mean I went into this ride very sore, but, was able to do what I did. Pretty dope! Anyway, we rolled out of Denver at a high clip and held it high pretty much until Simms blvd, where I turned around. The whole time I was trying to just stick on their wheels, and felt bad I didn't take as many pulls. However, they're clearly stronger than I, and, were more than happy to do it. Now THOSE are the kindsa guys you wanna ride with...the ones that'll carry a bit more of the work when you're feelin' tired. Great teammates/buddies. Anyway, we hit the rolling/flattish terrain of the MOB North ride, and by golly, I got a sicko jump at the final sprint. Now that felt good. However, at that moment, they'd officially worked me into a pile of jello and my legs were screaming. Like I said though, I haven't ridden like that in a while, and it felt so good. Couple that with the fact that I'm definitely a better rider on that type of terrain, rather than the stuff that goes stratight up, and you've got a recipe for a great day.

Later that night, after making some soup for the week's lunch, we collapsed on the couch, closing the night with an episode of The Wire.

Only 5 left...very sad!!!!

Here is a photo dump in no particular order...











No comments: