Monday, September 01, 2008

Summary!

Wow! What an extended weekend. I love the 3 day weekend. I'd work a 4-day week if I could...hands down! Maybe I should become a civil servant?! Meh, nah.

Anyway, Saturday we rolled up to Summit County, Keystone to be more specific, to do some mountain biking, shopping, and, enjoy the Coble's wedding on Sunday. Saturday we rode Peru Creek. It was a basic double track meets fire road sorta out and back. It was at about 10500 ft and went up to 11500K, but wasn't the least bit challenging, except for the skree at the very top. The views were just friggin gorgeous! We found a small spur off to the right on our way up. I can totally see this trail as an awesome place to do like 2x30-2x45 mtb tempo+ intervals. Great terrain. Other than that, it wasn't challenging. Did I mention it wasn't a challenge? Afterwards we played touristas and went to the Silverthorne factory outlets. I pulled SO much stuff off of the racks, but, of course, when it came time to make the purchases, I walked out of the stores empty handed, sans my base-layer purchase at the Pearl Izumi factory outlet. That night, we travelled into Breck to have some dinner, and ate at Hearthstone. Wow. What a meal!!! Delishhhhhhh. Very pricey, but, really worth it. We classified it as a wedding expense, since, 3 weeks from that day was our wedding. We were able to roll this expense into our wedding fund :-).

Sunday, we woke up and had breakfast at the B&B where we stayed...the ski Tip Lodge. The ambiance was awesome, and, the food was mind-blowing. As we got dressed, we decided to take a quick walk to the base area at Keystone to get the blood pumping and help dislodge anything stuck to our arteries from the day/night before! The weather was gorgeous, and, we knew that the Coble festivities were going to be great! The service started promptly at 11:15, and, it was just an amazing gathering. The view was beautiful, the food was insane, and, the feel of the wedding was very mountainous. Amy & I had such a wonderful time because it was a very chill wedding, and, it didn't feel stuffy at ALL. Jason & Katie's ceremony was really beautiful, and, it was sweet to see everyone tear up. I took some notes ;-).

After the wedding, we moseyed back to Denver to start our chores, and most of all, to take care of a LOT of our outstanding wedding items. We got a lot accomplished, but, still have some work to do. I have no doubts that we can finish 'er up.

Sunday, I woke up and made some very bad decisions. First off, I asked the WRONG group to go for a ride. Jordo, Juan Jose Miguel Hannandez, Brian Appleby, and eventually Aaron Bachick. Mistake #1. Second Mistake...suggesting a big climbing ride. The original plan was High Grade-->Broken Arrow-->Foxton-->Conifer Mtn-->Shadow Mtn-->Home. During the ascent of HG, my back was killing me. My left leg was completely numb, and, I was really uncomfortable. I got nervous that I re-injured something mtbin' the day before, but, things eventually loosened up. I still didn't want to push it though! Big trip coming up in a few weeks! Anyway, The ride started off as expected. I got dropped very quickly. Jordo & Hannandez went nutz off the front, while Appleby, Bachick, and myself set a good pace...not too fast...not too slow. Once we hit the HG turnoff, I kept going to give myself enough of a lead so that they wouldn't have to wait for me at the top too long. A lone recreational rider rode up next to me asking if I was going to wait for my buddies, but, I told him "nah...they'll be waiting for me at the top...trust me". About 10 or so minutes later I hear this whoosh of air and some gears changing and BAM. The 4 of them came screaming by. I had one plan for htis ride for myself, and, that was to try to keep everything together on the super steep section of the climb about halfway up. I succeeded which was cool, but, know I coulda gone a tad faster if I hadn't felt so shitty. By no means could I have hung with those guys, but, still, I would have done a bit better. Once we summited, we grabbed some water from the coolers, and, made the decision to just climb outta Foxton and head home. We took a detour through the backside of N Turkey Creek Canyon, descended Deer Creek Canyon, and headed home. I was so tired!!! I'd forgotten I'd commuted 3 days already that week (95 miles), plus, the mtb probably made me pretty tired. I did a few errands, but, eventually collapsed on the couch.

Good stuff this week. Read about it in a few!

Here some pics from the weekend...










No comments: