So I've been in the market for a new winter/cold weather cycling jacket for a little bit, and, have been researching like mad to figure out the best bang for the buck in terms of quality, functionality, and price. It's funny to see the different manufacturers' takes on the varying combinations of protectiosn...i.e Wind and Water vs Wind & Temp vs Water and temp. I remember the old rule of thumb when shopping for a new bike, that you get to pick 2 outta 3 for your bike...Light, Cheap, Strong (THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION BRIAN!). You also get 2 outta 3 for a woman Hot, Sane, Smart (LUCKY FOR ME I MARRIED SOMEONE OF ALL 3...I LOVE YOU DEAR!!!). I figure the same holds true for a jacket...Warmth, Dry, Wind. So, since i have the Craft Rain Jacket I bought a year or so ago, and, it kicks major ass, I figured I really needed just something that was Warm & windproof, because, face it, I most likely can't ride in the snow (unless that Surly gets done! Woohoo!), and probably won't.
So, after careful research online, I decided to check a few different brands & models out. First up was the Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket, 2nd was going to be the Descente Shelter, and 3rd was the Castelli Leggerezza. They all hovered somewhere between $150-$175 depending on where you looked either brick & mortar or online. A big thing for me was color too...I really did NOT want something white or very light, like blaze yellow, simply because it'll get trashed and dirty from the poor conditions. Luckily all models came in either blue, black or red. So, on my way home I decided to stop into some local shops that I knew had these brands, to try them on and get an idea for the various brands and their sizing. I stopped into Performance first, and, this is where the title of this post pretty much sums it up. I walk in, knowing how ghetto the place is already, hoping that, maybe they've changed their tune a little bit since the seasons are changing. I figured they'd have a stock of items to choose from, and, most of their brands would have the variety a cyclist of any discipline could desire. Good lord was I wrong. I gotta say this place is so shitty, it's really only good for 2 things...the Imperfect Sock rack, and, a sale on food. Other than that, they have the absolute WORST selection of everything else on the planet. I understand now even more why I dislike these stores besides the fact that when they sell a bike, they don't even try to make it fit, and, they are clueless about the technology they carry. You'd figure they'd have stock of the most noted and famous cycling brand of clothing (at least here in the US), Pearl Izumi, but they had nothing of the sort...not even a raincoat laying around. I was nauseous and so pissed off that I even considered stopping here. Granted, you go in knowing you're going to pay the least for anything vs going into any type of Local/small business shop, but I'll be damned if I expect a decent selection. I don't know why I even stopped in this place. I was really just frustrated and pissed! Kinda funny.
I know now why I continue to shop and ALWAYS will support Jason & PPC. The smaller shops just know how to do it. The knowledge and quality of gear is second to none. No question. Whether it's Turin (Yuck), Westside, or even Excel, you just have to support the people that give a damn (except maybe for Turin...they're pretty much all dicks there except for Dan). Granted their inventories vary, but, that's what makes them rather special...you'll get a nice variety, and, it forces you to shop and interact with the people. Eventually, someone is going to take care of you and answer your questions honestly, and either recommend something they have, or, even do the chivalrious thing and recommend another shop that might have what you're looking for. To me, that's the whole reason this sport kicks ass. It's not about competition...it's about appreciation and commitment.
So, what did I end up doing for a jacket? Well, after I exited the Abyss of Garbage that is Performance, I ran over to the BikeSource place across the street. They sold PI, and I figured they might have 1 or 2 other brands there that I could at least try on. As I walked in, I noticed my 2 favorite words "Clearence Rack". I poked through their selection of just about everything I needed (i.e. long sleeve jerseys, jackets of all levels/models, and base layers!), and, found a nice jacket to suit my needs. It was 30% off, and, the only reason I bought it was because it was so cheap. It's a very functional and nice jacket made by specialized called the Therminal Velocity. It fits perfect, and, is low key in design which is what I wanted, going for the function and warmth. It is pretty stylish though, and is in a nice soft blue. I'm confident it'll get me through the winter in all sports (XC skiing & biking), so, here's to a great purchase.
3 comments:
It's "Pick two; light, cheap, STRONG"...
And you live in Colorado, you don't need a rain jacket. If it rains, just wait ten minutes before going out - that will leave more room in your pockets for muffins
I might be getting soft in my old age, but why would you really want to ride in the rain during the winter?
Doesn't HART have a shop sponsor still?
Ok ok...allow me to clarify. I guess what I'm saying is...either the ground gets/is wet, and, you just get wet, or, get stuck in the weather on the way back/out.
If it's raining, I ain't leavin the house!
Post a Comment