Friday, April 10, 2009

TGIF

Fridays are great for many reasons, other than the fact that it's time for the weekend. For me, Fridays are great because they're a good test of how my training is going.

Typically, my weeks have consisted of structure on Tuesdays & Wednesdays, where I'll sweet spot interval on Tuesday and Tempo on Wednesday. Thursday I'll rest, or, Zone 2, and Friday I'll usually do openers if I know I'll hit a group ride or something.

Recently, I've reinstituted the 1hr lunchtime Sweet Spot rides Super Genius used to prescribe. I know things come along, because I can feel it, and, depending on where I am on the route at 30 minutes will let me know whether I'm hitting it, or, shitting it. So the last 2-3 weeks I've been keeping track of where I am on my lunchtime "southern" ride (enough of going into the res after 2 days in a row!) at about the 30 minute mark. I head south to the Swanky's course where the terrain is a LOT more variable than the CC res, and, the roads are half decent in the office park winding and bending with short rises into a craze maze like layout. So, the Swanky's hill is typically "halfway" through my hour ride...so, anywhere between 25-30 minutes, depending on a few factors such as headwinds, but mainly due to the traffic lights I hit. There are only 2, but, they can be a bit long. Anyway, the last two weeks, my times have decreased at my arrival at the top of the hill of the swankys course at the electrical box. First, it was 28:23, then, 27:30, today...a whopping 25:15. That was dope. I felt it the whole way out there though....head/crosswind and everything. As I came back, I pegged it even harder, and, was just feeling great. My body felt awesome...no back/leg pain/ANYTHING. It rocked!

This segueys into my next point about Fridays. I take yoga (or started up again) on Thursdays. I can usually tell how "good" the class is by how I feel the next day. If I'm really sore, the class didn't really accomplish what I wanted it to..BUT...if I feel really good, snappy, and very limber, it was a great use of my time. This new class I've been hitting obviously the BOMB. two weeks in a row with good yoga, and, the next day I've been killing it on my sweet spot rides.

I'm feeling really good right now. My head is in such a good place because I've been able to really train the last month or so. The weekends have allowed me time for some miles, and, I've been able to substitute some of the structure for commuting via bike, which, is allowing me to build back up...albeit slowly.

That being said, I am also resting very well, and, recovering nicely. Even better...i've been able to ride with Amy, which, is one of the best things in my life.

No comments: