Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Picky

Well, no doubt about it...I am picky. I just took a yoga class at Vital Yoga in Cherry Creek. I was going to ride over, but, was running late, and, my mat carrying device (backpack) was not holding up to the necessary task. So, much to the dismay of my lovely wife (whom incidentally better be wearing her helmet as I write this, or, will find her front wheel gone)I drove over. I was worried that the class would be too hard, too easy, too crowded, and just plain ole what I ain't lookin' fer. I was kinda right. I really went into this with a (semi) open mind because, let's face it, I need a new yoga place since Corepower bought Urban Flow.

The studio is located in the heart of hoity toity ville (Cherry Creek), as well as, up in Highlands & Golden. I picked a 1/2 class as that's what I did in my previous studies, and, sometimes even did the 2/3. I ain't there yet though. The studio was tucked in the back of an office building on the main strip of downtown Cherry Creek, and, I couldn't find it at first. Parking wasn't too bad, but, I can also see how it will potentially be ridiculous only because I lucked out big time and got a spot right in front. ugh I thought...already I'm not into it. Shitty parking can throw your shakras way outta line before you even try to realign them.

Next, the check in process was pretty simple once I found the place. It seemed like it had a "yogish" sorta vibe to it, and, could very well be legit. Despite the locals talking on their cell phones (omg!) in the "lobby", most of the people seemed pretty normal looking, although, I did pass some fabulous ones on the way in.

The room itself was a complete let down. First, I love tall ceilings in yoga...makes you feel like you have no boundaries as you reach up up up. Second, either decent natural light, or, decent fake light is nice when it's warm. This was just plain inconsistent (granted a bulb or 2 were out), but, I dunno. Finally, and this is a HUGE no no for me (at least)...mirrors. They lined the entire front of the room,a nd, there was no escaping how awkward I look doing yoga. Yes, I know the pracitce is about focus, and, letting go, but, I have some competitive bones in my body, and, often times cannot let go. I hate looking at myself in the mirror when I'm doing yoga. i focus too much on where my knee should be visually...or...are my arms high enough. I use my judgemental brain, rather than the natural "hey this feels good". Something about the room seemed really "contrived". \

Participants of the class trickled in late one by one, and, we had to start the whole intro thing over and over. However, once we got started, I began to enjoy the class. I'm used to something a little slower and looser, but, the poses we did were nice. I never felt rushed, but, I felt like the poses were never "broken up" like I've had in the past. We'd throw a down dog in here and there, or, in between this and that. We went from one pose to another without much of a breather or rest, but, again, that's part of the challenge. We did some inversions which I haven't done in about 3 years, and, I did pretty good considering. I was, and, still am definitely worked from the class, but, hey...I'm picky. I like my studio the way I like it, and, I like my class the way I like it. NO offense to Vital, or, anyone that goes, but, I'll use my free week while I evaluate other places.

I'm picky. what can I say.

1 comment:

jamie e said...

I hear ya brother, core power just booted my zen. UY was 3 blocks away, now I gotta find a new place.