Wednesday, February 10, 2010

HTFU? STFU

HTFU has become the "Killing it" of 2010 already. This is becoming the now most overused cycling "meme" of the year. If it's cold outside...you're supposed to HTFU. If you're tired...you're supposed to HTFU. If it's Wednesday, and, you wish it was Thursday...you're supposed to HTFU. If your frame is cracked in half...somehow you're supposed to HTFU. I am tired of people telling me to HTFU. I ride in shitty weather. I ride when it's very cold. I ride when it's very hot. However, there are days where I just don't want to ride. On those days...those telling me to HTFU need to STFU. I didn't see you outside yesterday at lunchtime? Riding with me around the Cherry Creek Res? 28 degrees? 11 wind chill? Snow on the road? Studded tires? Frozen derallieur? Didn't think so. So, before you start telling me to HTFU, climb off your trainer and ride outside. Just a tip...if someone tells you to HTFU, they are the least likely to HTFU. Call them on their shit. Guarantee their a wuss. There are only 2 or 3 people that can tell me to HTFU, and that's only because they take being a flahute to an exponential level: Mike Prendergast, Stephen Whiteman, and a toss-up between Eric Althen & Nick Nisbet. Those guys are pretty hardcore. Mike especially. That dude needs to take some fabric softener or something!

Ok! So, as you can see...yesterday I rode outside. It was actually a good ride too. Sure it was cold and the roads were pretty rough, but, I have a lot of fun on the snowbike. I'd been riding the CAAD9 for the past few weeks (yay!), so, getting back on the snowbike would potentially cause some minor pains because the fit isn't quite the same. It's suuuuper close as far as most measurements go, but, the angles are all different, so, it'll never really be a spot on match. Anyway, due to inactivity on the bike, my tires had lost some serious air, and, I neglected to put enough air in them to make the ride less difficult. Unfortunately, I rode at about 40 psi on the studs, and, while they dragged a little bit on the pavement (wet or dry), the absolutely BIT the snow nicely. I lost zero traction at any point, and, the road was just covered and in really really bad shape. Like I said though...it was super fun! That bike is also quite a bit heavier than the CAAD9, and, very very noisy! The fenders rattle, the studs make noise on the pavement, things squeak all over the place, but, hot damn that bike gets it done. Super fun to ride! Looking forward to getting back on the Cannondale (hopefully) this weekend. Dunno what to expect as far as conditions this weekend, but, a warm up is in the air. Might have to either go north, or, head to Boulder (I'm lookin' at you mprender!). Not sure yet what the plan is gonna be. All depends on how much melting goes on in the next few days.

So far been a pretty good week! Valentine's Day is coming up, and, I'm excited to celebrate it with Amy & Biscuit. Pretty soon we'll be celebrating our first Mother's & Father's day. CRAZY!

2 comments:

B. Bailey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B. Bailey said...

I gotta agree. The HTFU bandwagon came and left in a month. From now on, instead of HTFU, people should say "this is why I'm faster than you". For example, you don't want to ride your bike when it's 30 degrees out and it "might" snow? Well, this is why I'm faster than you. It's rude, but it gets to the point, and you'll never say it to Jens Voigt or Jordan Sher just because they happen to be taking it easy on a given day.