Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday and more snow!

Well, usually this time of the day on a Monday, I'm updating my blog around some sort of great riding experiences I had over the weekend. Unfortunately the weather has just been taking a dump all over the place and riding outside is pretty much getting to be impossible. It's not so much the snow, but, rather the super frigid temps. I can ride about 25 or so degrees for an hour to 2 hours, but, it's been in the single digits here and only hit 18 the last 2 days. Needless to say, I don't wanna get sick!

I've been substituting an hour or so on the stationary bike at the gym on "Random' or "Hill Plus" at level 16 or above (limit of 25). No, I"m not trying to show off, but, rather, just really trying to pack a bunch of training into a very boring hour. Granted, riding th indoor bike isn't the greatest, but, I don't own a trainer and probably will not invest in one either (or should I say re-invest).

Saturday, we headed out mid morning around 9 to try and go up to Bailey to snowshoe. It was snowing pretty good, but, the visibilty in town was fine. However, once we started climbing 285 at Turkey Creek, it was a total white out with really bad fog. I seriously got freaked out because I'd never experienced that level of lack of visibility. We pulled off to get something to eat for biscuit, and, decided it was probably a good idea for us to just find somewhere closer to go. We (literally) struggled to find Meyer's Ranch which was across the street from where we parked, but, you couldn't see ANYTHING! It was nuts. Finally, we meandered our way across & under the road to the trailhead, and, headed out for about a 1 hr hike in the VERY cold mountain air. It was prett windy and snowy, but, we had a great time! It was really nice to get out and get fresh air knowing that the next few days I'd be stuck inside at the gym. Later that day, we ponied up for a new King sized bed for the crew to sleep in. We're excited because the bed (aka Giant Bowl of soup we lie down on ever night) we sleep in now is sagging like a set of you know what on an elderly woman. WE got something a little firmer, and, the size should help support Amy tossing and turning in the coming weeks (poor thing) as well as Biscuit camping out with us to sleep.

As expected on Sunday, I woke up and decided to head to the gym while Amy did her normal pre-natal yoga. One hour on the bike was enough, but, I jacked the intesity up a bit higher and was able to get a pretty good workout. My HR approached 160 for most of the hour, which, if my calcs are correct, put me roughly in tempo/ss land. When I was done, I felt great, so, I knew I'd accomplished something. Right?!

It's Monday am right now, and I'm at home waiting for the bed to show up. It's nice to start the day out a bit slower at home. I'm planning on going in to the office when they're done, but, if that puts me in around noon, then, I dunno what I'll do. I'd like to go in, but, to drive down to turn around 4 hrs later seems kinda unappealing. I dunno. I do need to go in though. We'll see.

THe mid-week weather looks to warm up pretty quickly close to 50, and, the weekend too. Hopefully everything cooperates and I'll be able to get out and do some more riding. Even if it's on the snow bike, I don't care. Just wanna get outside!

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Did you know your mother was nearly a white-out with really bad fog?