I'm kinda over winter now...in a BIG ole way. We've gotten some serious snow here in Denver the last month or so, and, it's been uncharacteristically cold this go around. Typically we flirt with 50s for highs, but, we're lucky if we break 40!
This week has been so rollercoastery it's been crazy. I've been taking some antibiotics for a stupid infection I got in my hand after a cut. Dunno how it happened because we're super clean and are extra careful these days anyway w/ biscuit still cooking. Either way, I saw a doc on Monday and she prescribed the anti-biotic Cipro. Now I've taken antibiotics in the past for a MVP (mitral-valve prolapse) prior to going to the dentist, which have been more in the penicillin family. Typically they'd hurt my stomach, but, on a scale of 1-10 (ten being the worst possible reaction) of tolerance and discomfort, I'd say they were a 2. Some slight stomach cramps, but, not much. The Cipro however...that shit absolutely WRECKED me. I didn't really put 2 + 2 together that these pills also kill the GOOD bacteria in your gut as well as the bad ones. Since prescribed on Monday, I really thought I was going to go to the hospital because I was having some sort of dysentery, or, to area51 to have some alien extracted out of my body. Seriously, I have NEVER been so jacked up physically! I'd get these INSANE hot flashes, pain in my belly, and just feel downright terrible. Well, luckily, my wife mentioned the whole "hey they kill the good stuff too!" and she's not even a doctor. Who woulda thunk it. I figured these drug companies are somewhat smart in their drug design and could design these "heatseeker" sorta drugs that just prey on the bad stuff. No luck. So, I looked on the internet, cuz, well...what place is better to go for health information!? I mean the internet is 100% never wrong. Low and behold, there it was. Suggestions to take pro-biotics with anti-biotics to "maintain healthy flora". I found this out yesterday (Thursday) right before the doc called me to check in on how it was going. Tuesday & Wednesday I'd tried riding, but, could barely finish my workouts. Hell, I could barely pull my booties over my shoes bc of the pain. Riding in on Wednesday mronign was the worst most hellacious ride I've ever done. For the firt time ever, I actually stopped, and, almost called myself a cab! As such, I had Amy pick me up after work, and skipped the ride home.
So, after speaking with the doc and telling her how bad I was feeling, she quickly prescribed a new med, and, confirmed my wife's suggestion to pound pro-biotics (or eat a lotta yogurt) while taking the pills. I was in such pain yesterday that I actually left work at about 9:30 to go home and finish the day. I couldn't sit at my desk without feeling like the end was near. I bolted home, picked up the new prescrption and pounded a bunch of probiotics. It worked! What a difference. In like minutes I felt so much better. It was pretty crazy! This am I feel great too.
Now, of course it just got done snowing about 5 inches here, and, I'm chomping at the bit to get out on the bike. I will definitely hit the snow bike at some point tomorrow, and, hopefully do the full 470 loop again. Takes about 3-4 hrs which'd be really great. However, the weather looks even worse tomorrow. while I'm not too concerned about the snow, it's the uber cold temps that are more of a deterrant than anything. I have the necessary gear, but, there comes a point where you start to get diminishing returns. So, we'll see. Maybe even a ski-day is in order for sat or sunday. Looksl ike they've been getting some good stuff up tehre, so we'll see.
Until next time, give a hoot! don't drive like a jackass.
No comments:
Post a Comment