So, last night, we were lucky enough to catch Band of Horses at the Ogden. The last time we saw them was in Boulder on the second leg of the "Everything All the Time" Tour. The show was absolutely fantastic, and, we had the best seats in the house (perched high above the crowd in the private balcony at the Fox...thanks Dawn!). The only thing really strange about the show was that the audience talked the entire time. In between songs you could hear just how little people seemed to be "paying attention" to the show. It's weird because I've been to many concerts where the audience just seems quieter during the in between portions of the songs, and, pretty raucous during the songs; there is a noticeable transition in volumes. This show (and the last) just had people talking almost like they had their radio on REALLY freakin' loud. Strange!
Anyway, we got their late...probably 1/4-1/2 way into their set, and, were able to catch a lot of the favorites. The sound was AMAZING, and, the levels were perfect. There was not a single instrument that was louder than another, and, the vocals were just spot on. After the original guitar player left, they hired the giraffe (dude is like 6'7"!) Tyler Ramsey. He is one of the most amazing & talented song writers, guitar players, and MOST of all...SINGERS I've ever heard. His vocal harmoines, choice of guitars, and, shear participation in anything this band does really takes it to the next level. I'm convinced he's a HUGE anchor for this group. This time around they had a keyboard player with them who really added a "religious"/soul vibe to a lot of their songs. He filled the void that was there last time with his church-organ sounds, and, even his smoking guitar playing on some of the songs (I love when musicians are multi-dimensional...and GOOD!).
One thing still bothers me though...and that's the drummer. I know...I'm a drummer and I should dig their guy since I like their music so much. Well, the drummers on the records are not the same as the guy that plays live (the first one at least). There is a noticeable difference in the vibe of the song with this guy. It's like a cross between show-off, pretense, and, trying to hard...I guess? My biggest pet peeve is that he's ALWAYS doing some sort of crush-roll with his right foot...trying to rattle off triplets on the last 2 beats of a measure before the "1" of the next one with 2 on the kick & the "1" on the snare. The true soul of BOH's music is it's simplicity and return to the roots of good song writing with some creativity. Their sound is very unique, but, this guy makes it sound beyond where it should be...again...like he's trying to hard to be a rock star. Also, he flails unnecessarily when he smashes his cymbals...which...also seems like he TRIES to hit hard, but, just barely swipes them. The sound doesn't match the motion. Maybe his cymbals are too thin...dunno....but damn that bass drum pedal. Someone needs to take it from him. I'm calling in the old schoolers to have a sit down...Charlie Watts, Mike Heidorn (of Son Volt), Ken Coomer (Wilco), and even Mr. Bonham..for cryin' out loud teach this guy to just sit in the groove and NOT try to show of his chops with the hopes of sending up a signal beacon to return to the Planet Drumalot.
That aside, I'll give this show a 9 outta 10. Their closer, a cover of Yo La Tengo's "Sugarcube", was probably the greatest cover I've ever heard. Seriously. It was done VERY VERY well. It negated the drummer's craziness and "hulkamania" headband he wears, but, I have to dock them 1 point for him. Sorry :-(
In other news, here's what I've been listening to a lot lately. If you need some new music suggestions, I highly recommend the following:
1. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - S/T - Great early sounding indie pop/rock. They're really fun. Their song "Young Adult Friction" is so addicting!
2. Phantogram - Eyelid Movies - Cool electro-duo. The track "Mouthful of Diamonds" has the greatest guitar lick!
3. Sambassaduer - European - Unreal swedish pop. Makes you feel very good!
4. Vampire Weekend - Contra - Very cool. The songs are solid throughout and have a distinct "world" sorta beat to them. They're also pretty different from one another.
5. Title Tracks - It Was Easy - Ex-Georgie James lead singer/drummer/everything guy John Davis' new band. Anything this guy does is phenom! It's a call back to early 60's pop. He's an amazing drummer and song writer. I hope they come to town.
The labrador records label has been in heavy rotation in my library. They're a swedish get-up that has been putting out these awesome "retro" sounding bands.
Yeah, some of these are from 2009 I know, but, just getting around to being done with them. I have many more. If you want a mix, let me know. I've been making a few various playlists to cover them. Just email me or something.
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment