Ouch. That's all I can say. Since my last brief post, my cold has not gone away. In fact, he's a freeloading squatter that is not paying any sorta rent while occupying my body. I've hit it with more vitamin C, echinacia, cold snap, and general distaste than you can shake a stick at, but, this guy is determined to stay. I took yesterday off from riding and have decided to not really get back on the bike until I feel significantly better. The last thing I want to do is prolong this thing. It all started last Sunday, and, by mid-week I was feeling SO much better. Then, something happened Thursday and blammo. It's been back full force since.
Friday I did get a chance to ride at lunch. I wasn't feeling too bad, nor too great, so, I opted to just do a nice easy ride around the res instead of any sort of intensity. I was joined by the very fast Brian Appleby Bailey for the ride, and, for once, it was nice to have some company. Brian is very fast. Very fast. VERY fast. Fun to ride with, but, VERY FAST! I felt ok when I got done, and, was pretty sure the cold was on its way out. That night we walked up to Sabor Latino for some dinner. I hadn't been to this restaurant for quite some time, and, unfortunately, I was reminded why. I decided to go for the paella, and, was gravely disappointed. It wasn't good. Pretty sure we won't be going back for a while. The step-sister restaurant Red Tango, is far better. The owner/chef of Red Tango was with Sabor Latino for a while, but, left to do his own thing. Head, shoulders, knees & toes above Sabor Latino.
Saturday, I woke up feeling better, and, opted to meet up with the normal Saturday crew for what would turn out to be one of the last days of me chasing Jordan around the Chatfield Worlds course. His training zones had shifted upwards (which is good) from all of his solid training over the months & weeks, which meant he'd be riding faster than the previous weeks. Good for me since I'm the one that would be chasing him...it just meant a more intense workout for me! We rolled out ahead of the pack by about 15 minutes, and never saw them. I felt really really good the entire time, and, was even able to stick with him a little further along past the initial hill where I usually get schooled. Granted he stopped to fix his front derailleur, but, he still rode faster, and, I was able to hang on a bit past the right turn up Titan. I eventually sat up as to not waste too much energy, and, I was still unsure what my fate would be after the Jordan-chasing as far as continuing to ride or not. When he came back around, I joined him in the usual spot, and, we headed back to the ride start at a fast pace. Again, I felt great. As soon as we stopped to rest & regroup though, I started to fade a little. At that point, I decided to head home and NOT push it. I was bummed out because it was 60 degrees and absolutely gorgeous out, but, part of being disciplined is also knowing when to say enough is enough. I still ended up with 65 miles & 4 hrs! (Sheesh!). I crashed pretty hard when I got home, and, slept for about 2 hrs while Amy was out.
After a raucous dinner at Bull & Bush with Jordan, Brian, Michael Welker and our respective better halves, Amy & I wound down with some Breaking Bad. This has to be one of the greatest shows on television. The acting is superb and the plot is just amazing!
Sunday, it snowed in usual crazy/shitty weather here in Denver, and, I woke up feeling even worse than the day before. I opted to not ride and felt better throughout the day. We headed up do Erie for a better part of the day to hang out with my sis & her family and had such a fun time! All the kiddos on both sides of the family are irresistable!! As we headed home, we opted to do some Costco shopping, and, get Amy some new tires. We inherited a LOT of baby stuff from my sister, and, it took us a while to actually unload the car! We had dinner and hit the couch around 8:15 finally.
However, as per usual, I started feeling worse after about 9pm, and, then spiraled out of control. I didn't sleep well at all last night, and, was up mostly with coughing. I'm hoping Amy doesn't get this, but, inevitably, I think she might. Yikes!
The coolest thing about the entire weekend was being able to feel the Biscuit kicking like a madman in her tummy. Dude has been taking karate lessons in there or something. It's pretty amazing and quite humbling to feel him moving around in there. I can't wait until we can hold him in our arms!!!
Here's to feeling better this week y'all.
No comments:
Post a Comment