Monday, November 22, 2010

Back in the saddle

Well...a lot has happened since the last official blog post on this blog. We had a baby, and, most recently, relocated to Carrboro North Carolina. Hence the lack of updates!

Today though, was the start of what I hope to be a "comeback" for me when it comes to training & racing. I've been unmotivated for a little while, but, that's mainly because I've been dealing with the reality of moving east, and leaving my/our friends as well as the stellar training behind in Colorado. When Wyatt was first born, I'd say I was able to ride 6-7 hours a week (down from 14-16 prior). I'm totally fine with that. In fact, I prefer it that way. It gives me more time to spend with him & Amy. However, more recently (last 4 weeks), I've been averaging 1.5 hrs a week..sometimes 0. This sucks. My body has pretty much atrophied all the way, my legs are a shadow of what the once were, I have what resembles a pooch in my midsection...which is of course highlighted when I put my bibs on, my body cracks  and pops at every opportunity, and, I don't think I've done yoga in 8 months (let alone stretch!). Needless to say, my confidence is in the toilet.

So, today, after careful consultation with Jordan over a nice green salad for my final meal in Denver at Racine's, we decided that I MUST ride on Monday 11/22. I kinda set the expectation that the boxes may still be on their way to NC and I may not have clothes. He said...go buy a pair of shorts and ride at the gym.  I mentioned we may not have time because we're unpacking. He said...take a break for 30 minutes...Amy will no doubt support you. I said, well , and he'd retort .  Basically he assured me that the only reason I can't work out (other than some sort of emergency of course), is that I've been looking for an "out". So, regardless of the situation throughout the day, I needed to make 30 minutes (or more if I could) for SOME sort of ride. It didn't have to be intervals, sweet spots, or zone 2...just SOMETHING. 

While today was crazy, I'm happy to say that I was able to get out and check out the roads here for about 40 minutes. I logged 40m35s & 408KJ. Not much by normal standards, but, still a good ride nonetheless for the time I had. I'll try again tomorrow (supposed to be 75 degrees), and then on Wednesday, I'm hoping I can ride from Chapel Hill to Greensboro before we eat Thanksgiving on Wed & Thurs (want to earn it!). That'll be a bigger day, but, I should be fine considering I've trained in the past, and, my body will hopefully be prepped for it.

So, consider this a resurrection of the blog, and, my training life. I hope to commute to work, ride the trainer, or, do a group/solo ride outside whenever possible. I know that Amy needs to get out as well, so, I will always default to her and ride indoors, or, head to the gym around the corner if the trainer is going to be too loud (which it is). Bear with me for this week, but, look for some sort of regular updates with training details when I can provide them.

Thanks Jordo. Miss ya bud.

No comments: