Enter the trainer. About 4 or so years ago, I purchased my Tacx Fortis. I've posted about it a few times before, but, since our move, my new job, and, Wyatt, I have increased the amount of trainer time I have to embrace, simply because the opportunities to ride outside frequently don't quite present themselves as often now...especially in the cold weather. The biggest hit to having that 2 hr window is the amount of clothing you have to put on. The colder it is..the more layers, booties, gloves, and "steez" you need to don, and, therefore the less actual ride time you get. Plus, when you get back, you have to remove ALL of it...soaking wet. So, to maximize my training time, I've fully embraced the Fortius and all of its wicked cool glory on a mid-to-high 30 degree day here in NC, opting to ride indoors rather than out.
Today's course was the "Heart of Evergreen". I remembered I'd always wanted to get this film for the trainer ever since I bought it, simply because the route was a familiar one that I always rode...Evergreen/Hwy 74> Red Rocks> Willow Springs>Deer Creek>High Grade>Shadow Mountain>Evergreen. Well, fast forward to today, and, the fact that I can't ride that route so easily anymore based on where we are currently, and, the route has even MORE meaning. While it makes me very sad that a route such as this is no longer readily available in person, the virtual experience makes it a little better and puts me back to where I truly belong.
So, I set out up Highway 8 over to Willow Springs, up Deer Creek, and, partially up High Grade. The ride was exactly how I remember it...painful. That first section of Deer Creek Canyon at the first right turn is a killer, and, always has been. Same with that first set of switchbacks up High Grade. Ouch! I rode as I would if I were there, and, the numbers all seemed to match up with what I would expect. I only got an hour in, but, it was a quality hour with some quality scenery. I really enjoyed this route, and, imagined myself back in Colorado off the back of the HART ride chasing as hard as I could to the group. It really made me feel at home. I miss you guys more than you'll ever know! For now, the memories will get me by.
Ended up with 1h 5min 735Kj
In the interest of sharing, I took some pictures with my iPhone while riding (I had tunes blasting)...Check it out! Those of you that know the ride well will recognize these pics pretty easiliy.
| Climb up Hwy 8 out of Morrison towards Willow Springs |
| Willow Springs Neighborhood right after the little cut through |
| Base of Deer Creek Canyon just past the parking lot |
| Agreggate Stone Company Quarry sign in the 2nd or 3rd turn |
| Left turn at Fenders up High Grade |
1 comment:
Seriously?? That thing is crazy awesome.
Post a Comment