Good morning...it's 6:40am. Why am I up this early, and, why am I blogging as well?
Well, two reasons:
1. I just got done riding (started at about 5:20 or so), as I am going to try to start riding in the mornings from now on. From a schedule/logistic perspective, it helps out IMMENSLY if, when I come home from work, I can focus strictly on hanging out with Wyatt & Amy (or letting her get outta the house for a bit!), rather than wondering if I am going to get a workout in. There's this constant "sub/un-conscious" tension that is palpable if I am just waiting for the time to creep by so I can ride before bed, and, I'm usually just kinda sitting at the dinner table not eating, since I don't want to barf in an hour or so.
2. I have a few extra hours this morning since it's a "delayed opening" at the office. It's funny..this place shuts down (The STATE...not just my office), if someone so much as mentions the word "snowflake" or "snow" or "ice". Hey, I'm not complaining! Although, I wish I'd known, cuz then I coulda slept in a bit more. On the contrary, I probably wouldn't have gotten up to ride. So.....glad to be here!
This post is a sorta double whammy because I rode yesterday, but, never got the chance to write anything up. I decided after Saturday's group ride that I needed to really start to inject some structure and discipline into my training since I kinda got my ass handed to me. In order for me to effectively do either Carmichael's TCTP, or, any sort of structure, I'd have to establish my training zones so I can maximize my time on the trainer/outdoors. In the past, I've always done a "step" type test in which you slowly increase your wattage/HR a certain number of "steps' (say..like 5 W every 1 minute...or...10 watts every 3 minutes), and, eventually settle into an 8 minute or so effort to establish your LT. This time around, I decided to go with the newer approach to the concept, and, do what Carmichael suggests in his book...2x8 minutes on 10 minutes in between. Those 2 8 minuters are supposed to be constant, steady-state efforts hovering around a wattage that you can hold. I also noticed that Frank was starting to do these as well instead of the traditional MSS we used to do. So, I hit it.
I jumped on the trainer, and, picked the Grossglockner course to test my mettle as it is a straight up hill ride at about 4-7% in grade for the first few miles, then, shoots up to like 10-12% for who knows how long:
Knowing I'd only have 8 minutes, I didn't think I'd ride far/long enough to hit the steeper pitches, and, wanted to make sure I could keep the effort more in my legs, than have the trainer dictate it. Therefore, after the first effort & during my cool down, I'd simply reset the program and start it over.
The perfect plan!
After 10 or so minutes of warming up, I decided to hit it. Boom. I started out fast, and, then, settled in. First interval ended up at about 258W. Not bad I thought. Took the 10 minute rest/restarted the course, and, Boom. Started the 2nd interval. 262W this time around. Take the average of the two, and, you have 260. Not bad. Seriously. Considering what my life has been like for the last 6 or so months, and, the "training" (intentional quotes!) I've been doing, I'm pretty good with this. Here's a shot of the file:
You can see where the pitch kicked up as the speed (pink line) drops significantly!). I also made sure to use Frank's "1 minute until it's over rule...", in which he encourages that last minute to be as hard as possible to finish off strong. He'd say "It's over in a minute, so, go all out...". Granted, you need to not blow up, but, your brain keeps you in check from doing that, while at the same time, it pushes you through. The rest of the day, I was able to hang with Wyatt while Amy took a few hours to herself. It was awesome. I ended the ride with 1h 6 min 753 KJ
This morning, I woke up and did some tempo work. I was originally going to just spin it out, but, then decided that I'd take Thursday off so I could do yoga/stretch instead. So, did 3x8 on 5 off. Ended with 1 h 603 KJ.
Next week, I'll start the structure, and, hope to boost the numbers a bit prior to the first race...in mid-Feb! Yikes. With this weather though, who knows if it'll happen.

No comments:
Post a Comment