We had a lot of personal things going on this weekend, so it was looking as if my chances to ride were kinda slim. I was ok with it, knowing that I'd be able to make it back up during the week, but the weather & timing cooperated. As such, I was able to get out both days. However, both days tell 2 distinctly different tales of the joy of riding a bicycle.
I went to bed kinda late Friday night, and as such woke up Saturday morning kinda groggy and uninterested in riding. The weather wasn't that great either, so getting my ass moving was already becoming a struggle. I had a crummy dinner the night before, so I tried to supplement my stomach with some decent vittles. I made a decent sized breakfast, and sipped just a little coffee with the hopes that it'd give me the boost I needed. As I left, I felt just some light misting rain, so I grabbed a rain coat and stuffed it in my pocket....juuust in case. As I headed out, I felt terrible. Just tired and uninterested in riding at all. While cruising, I was still trying to figure out my route (typically when you head out and know where/what you're going to ride you're pumped), which is a tell-tale sign of disaster. I opted for the southern side of things, and would climb Jones Ferry Road up to Damascus Church Road followed by a grind up Poythress. As I climbed I felt even more sluggish, and, got hungry pretty quickly. "damn," I thought to myself, "this is not good". I had to stop like 12 minutes in to eat something. As I stood at the side of the road, the writing was on the wall. Just turn around and head home. So I did. I was ok with it, but vowed to have a better day tomorrow. We had a party at the house for a family member, and I made sure to eat a LOT of food to help replenish any storage silos that might have been diminished.
Sunday, I woke up to gorgeous sunshine. It'd been a while since the sun was out here, as we've had constant rain for weeks! As a family, we decided to walk up to Johnny's Gone Fishing for some delicious breakfast type treats. It was hot in the sun, but, there was a delightful breeze that came through every 5 minutes or so that just felt soooo good. Plus, with all of the trees around here we had some good shade as well. We hung out at JGF for a while, eating breakfast burritos, muffins, and whatever else we could get our hands on. The place is becoming a new hangout all over again for us. Amy suggested I go ahead and head out for a ride since she had some work stuff to do around 2. I was on the bike by 11:45, and, wanted to be home by 1 in case we needed to deal with a no-nap kid.
I headed out exactly the same way I did the day before, only this time I had the route planned, and a fire in my belly to ride. As I climbed Jones Ferry Road (mind you...this really isn't a "climb" by Colorado standards...but hell, I'll take what I can get), I felt great. I lit it up where I could putting out nice Tempo numbers. The terrain gets nice and rolling at the top and I felt like I was motoring pretty good. It was getting pretty damn hot, so, I made sure to drink water when I could, and, milk the shade as much as possible. I climbed a few steep short hills, then hit the "big one" on Lamont Norwood. That thing sucks! I made it home exactly at the 75 minute mark which was perfect! Overall had about 750-ish kj which is great, considering how low my freakin CP is right now. The rest of the day I was knackered, and hungry as hell. I tried to dial back my intake to continue to drop the weight, and it worked for the most part, but, was absolutley starving by dinner time. I destroyed my salad & burger.
This week I'm going to inject some solid structure into my workouts. I've got my old Fascat calendars, and will build some tempo sessions/etc off of those. More this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment