So...there's this new running technique called "Chi (chee) running" that is sweeping the running community. I know, I know...as a cyclist I still have the stance that running is dumb, so don't think I'm converting. Good gravy no. Anyway, in a nutshell, it "employs the deep power reserves in the core muscles of the trunk, an approach that grows out of such disciplines as yoga, Pilates, and t'ai chi. This excellent step-by-step program offers training principles and is easily learned." Essentially, your body is made up of 2 materials...Cotton & Steel; the steel part being your trunk, and, the cotton being your head, neck, arms & legs. Steel (besides being real) is obviously a solid material that is very "rigid" and/or taut, so, the concept is your trunk (aka steel) is just that..."engaged". No...not like you're trying to poop, but, rather, you bring 'awareness & energy' to your prahna...the spot behind & below the navel. Coincidentally this is where the running meets yoga/pilates. Now, the cotton is sorta flip floppy and 'free'...basically moving without your "control or knowing"...you know...you're just running. Moving your legs. Perhaps flailing your arms. Regardless, your trunk is the center, and everything else is just...well...cotton. Remember the Karate kid 2? It's like those little drums they play throughout the film. (~22 seconds in)
So where the hell am I going with this? I dunno...but basically in conversations with the local Chi Runner (def: Amy), I've started incorporating some concepts into riding & other activities. By golly it works. When you can actively "disconnect" your brain from your legs for a little while, your legs just pedal away...they do their thing because on a visceral level your brain is still barking orders at them...faster faster or keep going. Basically it's shifting your focus from your legs building up with lactic acid, to a more internal/central point of focus. By engaging that spot behind your navel you also bring your sacrum directly underneath your pelvis, thereby aligning your body physically, which, in turn, can significatnly reduce injury. I've been practicing on all types of rides/intensities since my injection because I really want to focus on getting my body re-balanced since this stupid low back thing. One thing I have noticed is that my pedal stroke is a heck of a lot smoother and more fluid than it used to be, and, when I quickly shift my focus back to my legs, I can actively feel like I'm engaging the necessary muscles at the necessary times, whereas, before I might have either mashed or something. It also is noticeable when I'm walking around...cuz I have a big ole ghetto booty (my nickname from my dad was "hi pockets when I was a kid). I ain't lyin...I have the backyard from my mom's side. I noticed it last night in yoga when I was trying to stand up straight. I offically have a male's version of the budonkadonk. I can feel the "Chi" when my yoga instructor calls out that I need to "drop" the pelvis...essentially engaging the same muscles as the "Chi runnig". So basically, I'm Chi-everything right now, except when I slouch at my desk. However, I'm quick to correct the chi. I Chi-watch TV...Chi eat...Chi sleep...Chi everything!!
No comments:
Post a Comment