Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Holy BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Wow. Up early today to commute in. Left the house at 6am. The computer said 30 degrees. The computer lied!

Sheeeite it was cold this am. I was dressed really well and had on plenty of layers for warmth: Descente mesh LS base, Craft WindStopperPRro crew LS, LS Jersey, and, LS thermal jacket. Balaclava on the face (needs an upgrade to something more windproof), Thermal hat, Burton snowboarding gloves, bibs, Arcitc tights, seal skins, Blaze wool socks, amfib shoe covers. ZOINKS. Still cold. I was warm, but, damn when I started to sweat I got chilly. My hands were tolerable, but, for some reason they were sweatier than normal (not sure why?!), so my gloves got soaked. They never got frostbitten or numb, just kinda damp & cold. Luckily the gloves are big enough that I could ball my hands up inside to create a little heat. It made it difficult to steer, brake, and shift, but, dammit if Imma be cold! The ride in was pretty uneventful, and, the path is STILL in awful condition. I just can't believe how much snow and ice there still is! The temp read 24 degrees on the Channel 7 news building, and it sure felt it. However, when I hit I-225, and the sun really started coming up, the breeze kicked in. THEN it just got plain FREEZING. Once I made it up the short rise to the park entrance traffic light, the sun hit me, and, it felt good. By the time I got to the office it was a bit warmer, and, I couldn't see my breath anymore. I was shivering pretty good, and jumped into a hot shower. It felt sooo nice to thaw out that way. The blood started returning to my thighs, and, they became so itchy!

Now, as I sit at my desk, my pinkie is frozen. Weird. It's colder now than it was on the ride.

WTF

No comments: