Monday, January 25, 2010

Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
gimme the mic so I can take it away
off on a natural charge bon-voyage
yeah from the home of the dodga brooklyn squad


Ok, now that I have my weekly Old Dirty Bastard fix out of the way, I will tell you this...shims work.

Friday night, I was all geeked up to ride a nice long ride Saturday...albeit mellow. We hit Tocabe grill up in Berkley (44th & Lowell) to try something new. It's a "native american eatery", in which, they substitue a few ingredients that chipotle/Illegal Pete's uses to create a burrito-type item. Instead of tortillas, they use indian fry bread which is kind of like a sopapilla, which is very much like delicious. Amy got the "taco" and I got the "burrito" version of their food. VERY tastey. Their salsas include more native things like hominey, white corn, and smashed tomatoes, versus the fresh pico-type salsas, guacamole, and the like. After we defeated dinner, we rolled home and went to bed.

My alarm went off Saturday morning at 5:45am, and, I snoozed once or twice. Eventually, I shut the thing off, and, just slept. I think I was half asleep when I did that, because I woke up late, and completely missed the group rolling out. Ugh! I quickly got my shit together, and, attempted to do something enjoyable. Well, my body has enjoyed not cooperating with the rest of me these days, and, as such, my back was bugging me big time. As I headed west towards Golden, the cold was getting worse. I couldn't believe how BITTER it was. I think there was more humidity in the air, and, I was kinda underdressed thinking it was going to warm up. I got so cold! The wind kicked up as I started to "try" to climb Lookout, and, was turned around by the ridiculous head wind. I rolled down to PPC, and, hung out for a few to see if the wind would subside, and, warm up! My hands were toast by then, and I'd needed a better place to hang than Starbucks to warm up! While I was tehre, Jason & I were chatting about my back and whatnot. We threw my bike in the trainer really quickly to see what was up...if anything was super outta whack/ordinary. He noticed my left leg and left side of my pelvis was dropping big time on the downstroke, and, decided to shift my seat forward a tad, and, put 2 extra shims on the left shoe. It felt really good on the trainer, and, we agreed I'd give it a shot. After this was all said & done, I decided to just call it a day, and, ride home. My leg started to bug me big time on the way back, but, it was not a "bad" bug...but rather...an "engaged" bug in that, I hadn't felt my leg work like this in a while. My quad was firing, and, I could feel my hip contributing as well. "Interesting!" I thought. Now, when I got home, my leg was pissed..but a different pissed. Maybe this is what I've been needing...3-5 cm of thin plastic underneath my left cleat. Who knows?

Sunday was colder than Saturday, and, with my back feeling the way it did, I said ugh...I'm not doing shit today. I'm going to rest it. Maybe all of this riding is just not good right now. Just see what happens. After a DELICIOUS brunch at Stella Trattoria (seriously...VERY GOOD!), I ran a few errands with Amy, and, then plopped on the couch. I haven't done that in AGES...and I hated it. I mustered up some motiviation, hoped for the best with my back, and, headed out for a very short 1hr ride. I felt unreal. It was a total change. Things felt in balance, and, nothing hurt the entire time...like it had in the past at least. I'm not saying I'm riding pain free at all, but, 85%+ of my discomfort was gone for sure. I was blown away. Now, I know that I'm not going to feel like that 100% of the time just because for the past 4 years, my body has been jacked up, but, it was a good sign! That Jason knows his stuff!! (I've always known that!).

This week should be good. I am seeing Ed Westhead @ kneaded.net today for a massage. He's unreal. See him if you can. Then, we have an Ultrasound tomorrow on Biscuit, and, we may or may not find out the sex. TBD!

Until then...enjoy

No comments: