Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ughhhh

Well this weekend was a total bust from a cycling perspective. The only bright spot was Friday's workout.

On Friday, I tried re-instituting Frank's "Hour of Power Sweet Spot Lunchtime Git Down" workout...where, basically I just peg it for 1 hr as hard as I can. My indecision as to which direction to go (I usually head south for these workouts) struck and paralyzed me mentally when I hit my main conduit out of the office. Do I go South? North into the Park? What are the conditions like? Needless to say, I made some crazy route up, and, given the condition of the roads close to the office, just about everything was gonna be a semi-bust. So, I made up some loop with hills here and there. I hit it pretty hard, then, slowly ran out of gas. It felt good to get going that hard, considering I haven't done much in the way of intensity in a while. The lungs were searing, and, the legs were a bit tired. Felt good!

When I woke up Saturday, I quickly fell back asleep. I wasn't feeling all that well when I woke up, so, I slept in juuust a little bit longer. I rolled out around 9:30, and, it was still pretty chilly. My original plan was to meet up with the team guys, and ,roll down south at 8:30. I'd end up doing Deer Creek, High Grade, or something extended climbing-wise. Didn't really happen. I'm not sure where I was mentally Saturday, but, it wasn't the bike. That's for sure. I rode up the I-70 frontage road instead, and, just headed home after. When I got home, Amy decided to head out for a spin, and, it was my turn to clean a bunch of stuff, so, I obliged. That night we had a great dinner with Jamie, his wife Michelle, and, their lil dude Max. Jamie & I have known each other for a LOOOONG time...man, like 8-9 years! Crazy, cuz, I would always see him riding is bike, or, doing outdoor stuff that I liked....wierd how we never quite hung out and did this stuff together until recently! Always a nice guy though. Top quality Jersey Boy.

Sunday, I woke up with some SERIOUS back pain. I hadn't felt like this in a very very long time. My left glute was in total spasm, and, my SI joint was barking like my neighbors always-barking dog. We packed up and headed up to Erie to catch up with Mike, Kelly, and any other northerners we hadn't seen in a while. My original intention during the week was to climb up to Raymond with Mike & whomever else showed up. However, due to my discomfort and bummed state of mind, I declined to do much at all. During the ride, I felt terrible, and, there was this buzzing in my back. I ended up rolling out only to Hygeine with Amy, Kelly, & Janine, then stopping. My body couldn't take much more. Amy wasn't really feeling all too hot either, so, I volunteered to go back and get the car. Lucky for me, I hitched up with the Boulder Masters ride and they towed me...for a very short stretch, but, every bit helped :-).

I'm not sure what happened, but, I'm going to assume it had very much to do with the fact that I switched between the Surly & that CAAD9 this week. The geometries are very different, and, while I've done all I can to get them dialed in the same, they're just not the same. The next step is going to be looking closer at the drop from the saddle, and, the handlebar height. I feel like while the Surly is set up pretty comfy, the bars might either too high, or, the CAAD9's might be too low. They are different in their headtube heights, but, that's one thing I haven't bothered to focus on. This time around I will.

I feel better this (Monday) a.m., but, the feeling of being bummed and annoyed is still around in full strength. I want to put some bigger days in and try to continue to shed the lbs. I am better at eating a good portion, and, have been nothing but healthy when it comes to my non-cycling mind state. It's been great! Dang you cycling! I will get you back!

Until next time!

No comments: