Sunday, February 28, 2010

Heavy Sigh

Man oh man. Now that's more like it!

While the weekend weather didn't live up to the hype it was supposed to, it was still rideable and tolerable enough to get in a nice big ole day with the Saturday a.m. group. I showed up to Bang/Starbucks about 8:30 ready to go. I waited a bit to leave the house since I got there like 30 minutes early last time, and, showed up just as the last 1 or 2 peeps arrived. As we headed south, the wind of course started to kick up right in our faces, but, the company and thoughts of what was to come overcame any thoughts of annoyance. My body was feeling great. Even though my back had been bugging me on the way down, I'd stuffed a few pieces of folded paper in my shoe to add a bit more lift, and, I was doing MUCH better. As we approached the starting point of the ride, we noticed the group pulling off in the distance. Since I was going to stick with Jordan, the rest of the guys took off and team tt'd to catch the group. They eventually did which is super impressive considering the group was so damn far ahead. Nice work boys. Riding with Jordan is a chore in itself only because he's getting faster and smoother every week. It's nice for me though since I don't have to "increase the resistance" on any sort of dial since he does it already. We did the normal route where he drops me and I catch him on his way back, only this time he had company with Randy Ellis. I don't really know Randy, but, in the few times we've ridden together/I've spoken with him he's a downright nice guy. He's a super strong rider, and, I vaguely remember him from when he still had hairy legs and rode a Tirreno. Now, he looks like he transports coconuts in his calf musles or something on a sweet looking white Specialized. It's crazy what this sport can do to a person's body over a year. Here's a shot of Randy & Jordan leaving me:






and here's a self portrait of the same moment:











(I look good, huh?)

As the ride was winding down, the geniuses at the JeffCo Parks & Rec decided to close the road in Chatfield reservoire to traffic for a running race. So...you have probably 50-75 cyclists, as well as probably 20-30 CARS trying to turn around and "share the road" on a one lane highway. Then, everyone has to funnel BACK onto Titan Road which is pretty much the ultimate fighting octagon of cycling roads around here. On a related note, the number of drivers willing to take risks with their own lives to pass 3 cyclists riding single file as far to the right as possible is pretty astounding. However, I will say that the big group is pretty out of hand when it comes to taking up the entire road. It's pretty disgusting actually. While I've done the ride in the past, I don't do the ride anymore and never will for this reason. I don't want to be associated with it in any way shape or form because I guarantee it's going to get shut down by the cops, someone is going to get hit, or, someone in a car is going to do something stupid and aggressive because these cyclists are just being crazy. Oh, and those people canNOT handle their bikes. It's really sketchy. Granted, that's not all of them, but, probably 90%. Sheesh!

Anyway, I digress...we headed up and over Willow Springs to get into Morrision, and, I headed home via Garrison again. The rest of the group opted to go up and over into Golden. I'd had this in mind, but, I had some time contraints I didn't want to violate, and, Garrison was the best option home. Plus, holy crap was I tired!

Amy & I had a great time together this weekend too! Sunday we headed up to the Sourdough trail for a hike with M & K Prender. It was a beautful (yet chilly & snowy) day in the hills, and, we hike for about 2.5 hrs. The trail was uphill the entire way, and, I was so winded and super tired from the 4 days of riding that I struggled BIG TIME! It was super fun though. I love spending time & doing stuff with her.

I'm pumped for a massage tonight. It'll be really good for the body to get me prepped for this week's workouts. Looking to increase that on time & reduce the rest time in the SS intervals mid-week. Then, ramp it up for the weekend again. I think there are some practice crits in Boulder. I doubt I'll make it up this week, but, maybe the next one. We'll see how I feel, but, if this progress continues, it should be super fun. More importantly, if the ENJOYMENT continues, it'll be super fun. No expectations y'all.

Have a good week!














No comments: