Sunday, April 04, 2010

omg

While I usually post early Monday morning, I have a big presentation to give very early, so, I'm gonna put one in a day early. OK! Well then. Today's ride put the stamp on my weekend and ME.

I spent the day with the RMCC doing a "populaire" ride. It falls in the category of brevet and other words in French that mean "Long ass rides". These are the type of rides (and people) that measure rides in kilometers, instead of miles, and, have aero bars on their bikes not because it's comfortable, but, they actually use them when they're hitting mile 715 or so on one of their rides. That is not a type-o. This is a completely different breed of rider...unlike any people I've ever ridden with. To them, riding is an opportunity to go out and just do that...ride. No pretenses...no real fancy equipment...just stuff that works, an attitude that is awe-inspiring, and, an engine the size of Michigan.

Today's ride was 68 miles. It started at Exit 243 of I-25, went out, over, & up to Carter Lake, back around to Masonville, and, back to Berthoud/Loveland via various awesome-to-ride Colorado side-roads/minor highways. The ride started out under chilly cloud-covered skies, the wind was blowing east to west (yay for us!), and the sun was promising to burn off whatever clouds were too stubborn to leave. As I got set in the parking lot, I looked around at the various riders to try and get an idea as to what I was in for. Now, I'd heard stories from Mike, Amy, & Kelly (all of whom have done many of these rides...including a few 200k!! Is my wife a badass or what?!) about people being strong and whatnot, but, judging from the general demographic (i.e age of 45+ or so), I figured to myself "Ok...these people have never ridden with folks like Jordo, Appleby, or Nick, so, they're "45+ strong". Plus, over the years I've become a somewhat stuck-up cyclist, judging people by the fact that they wear that burn-your retina neon yellow and associating that color with folks whose knees bow outward because their guts are in the way as they pedal. There was a brief speech about "not a competition, but rather a challenge" or something. I didn't really pay attention. Then...it was time to boogie. As we rolled out and started riding, I was feeling good and rather cocky.

I was about to learn a lot about these people....

So, the ride gets going. People are all over the road, passing, attacking...whatever. I'm saying to myself "Dude..it's mile 2...66 more to go...just relax. Plus, this ain't a race cowboy!". The ride headed north along the I-25 frontage road to Hwy 56, with a cross wind out of the west. There were a few guys up the road, but, everyone eventually got together. I tried to keep it in my mind that, while it wasn't a race, think tactically about where & how you WOULD ride if it were. So, knowing that our cross wind was going to be a tailwind soon, I made sure I was with the front group at least a few yards from the left turn that would eventually turn the group into a Japanese speed train. The wind was probably 10-15mph out of the east, and, the group ramped it up immediately. I tucked myself into the pack and just rode smart. I stayed in the draft, and, took a few shorter pulls at the front once it was my turn. Again, I tried to conserve energy, and, remind myself I had nothing to prove to anyone but me.

As we approached Carter Lake, the sunny skies quickly turned gray, and the wind picked up a bit more. Behind us though, the skies were blue, so, something was keeping these clouds pinned to the foothills. Carter Lake is a fun ride that I've done many times, and, many times I've gotten shellacked going up the first and only real climb in the park from the main entrance. It's probably about 1.5-2 miles MAX, but, steep enough that it's a challenge. It's only 2 switchbacks, but, the bottom of the climb is significantly steeper than the top. As the group approached the base, I thought to myself "Dude...just relax...these guys ain't goin' nowhere!". Lesson #1. These dudes can RIDE. The pace went to animato pretty quickly, and, they were gone. I realized what was happening, and, accepted the fact that these guys were about to kick my ass hardcore. Did they ever! They were gone pretty quickly...up and over the hills. It wasn't like I was riding slow. This was reminiscent of trying to ride up this thing with Greg Ross, Jeremy, and a few other guys that just blow this kind of terrain UP. I mean they were gone like THAT! So, I threw it into a good gear, and, challenged myself to climb the hill hard & fast putting in a good effort. I knew this was the only real "climb" of the day, and, it was juust about 1/3 of the way into the ride, so why not? I crested the hill, now facing north, and, had a decent headwind ripping around the road and rocks that was doing a number on me. A few guys had fallen of the pace, and, we worked together to make it to the marina while some of the folks "checked in" for their ride. (Brevets/populaires are pretty much done on the honors system and you write your time down on a card you're given at the start of the ride at various "checkpoints".) I kinda kept going, knowing that I was bringing up the rear, and, that these guys were gonna get started again pretty much about the time I made it up there. Once they rolled out, it got very interesting.

As I waited for them, pedaling in circles, I noticed a flake or two falling. Being as far north as we were, I thought to myself..."Hmmmm. This could get interesting." Boy did it ever! As we descended the backside of the climb, the snow started falling faster with thicker, heavier flakes. The group was splitting up because people started thinking "Screw this...I'm outta here", and, would just blaze it up the road to get the ride over with. It was here I could see the true power and strength of these riders. They'd explode off the front and just hold it. For miles and miles! Lucky for me, one of the more seasoned riders (a guy by the name of Foon), was last wheel. As I saw the members of the group riding away, I thought to myself, "Now what?". Do I turn right instead of left, and, just head back to the car? Do I skip out on the group? Nah...I thought. I'll just ride my ride, and, eventually catch up with them. Then, without warning, Foon comes blasting around me, slows up, drops back to get me on his wheel, then, just puts in in gear and let's me have it. He towed my ass all the way up to the front of the group. I swear we were doing 27-30 mph on a false flat into a headwind. Mike jumped on as Foon and I were coming through, and the big man delivered yet again. He and Foon rotated smoothly and just put the friggin hammer down! By this time, the snow was even heavier, the air was significantly colder, and, our clothes were starting to get wet from the snow sticking. As we made our left turn, we were in for a surprise.

The weather just got really awful at this point. My hands were totally frozen even in my warmest gloves, and, the guy next to me only had on spring/fingerless gloves. I could see his fingers were pink & white from the temp. The roads got wet and road spray was everywhere, soaking you now from multiple directions, on top of the absolute blizzard that was falling from the sky. We made it around a few more turns after crossing HWY 34, and, I was teetering on "This if fun/This is miserable". These guys though...they NEVER blinked. I can only imagine some of the shit they've ridden in..especially the guy that has done Paris-Brest-Paris 5 times. I mean this was like nothing to them. I'm sure they were cold. We all were...but I'll be damned if I saw it in one person's face! So, I sucked it up and just kept riding. Literally 40 seconds later, the sun was out (and it was a HOT sun), the roads were drying, and we were approaching the 3rd checkpoint. I could warm up inside, maybe eat something, and, gather my wits about me.

As we rolled out of the checkpoint, a slight breeze out of the east picked up. My clothes were still soaked, and this breeze didn't really help keep me warm. Of course, the pace picked up quickly so everyone could warm up, and, from that point on, it was ON. The group really flew on HWY 14 all the way back to the I-25 corridor (maybe 8-10 miles total), and the sun was out. Spirits were obviously high too because everyone was talking, and, the pace never let up until we stopped back at our cars. The group continued to splinter as we rode east, and, eventually, there were only 6 of us left for the final leg south on HWY 13. Now THIS was where it got REALLY REALLY fun!

The pace was high, the rollers were long, and, the wind was out of the North as we headed south. Couple that with these guys that have a bunch left in the tank (mile 54? that's nothing to them!) and it was going to be a pretty quick ride back! We rotated through regularly, and, eventually, I stopped pulling. I just sat on the back because this was as close (even exceeded) to the pace of a race I'd been in, in a long time. It felt really good, and, I had a big ole smile on my face the entire time!

Once we hit the final 1/4 mile to the cars, I still felt awesome, and, when we stopped, still had the adrenaline pumping. I had such an awesome time, and, have hereby going forward dropped ANY AND ALL PRETENTIOUS snobby roadie cyclist stereotypes of yellow jackets, aero bars, and, riders that are to my senior. The riders were nice, unbelievably strong, and, the weather we experienced bordered on apocalyptic! Actually I think it crossed the line. I really hope that when I hit my mid & upper 40s I can ride like them. Simply amazing!

Tomorrow is a nice massage which I'm very much looking forward to. The rest of the weekend's riding was a bust as the wind on Saturday was just too ridiculous to do anything.

This week, I hope to continue the streak of solid workouts I've been putting in, and, have 2 nice doozies this weekend. I'm excited to see Amy on Saturday more than anything in this world. She's been gone for 48 hrs, and, I'm missing her & biscuit so so so so much. This bed is lonely and wayy to big for just me!

Anyway, enjoy the week!

1 comment:

shw said...

hey! you've ridden with people like this before. maybe just not the strongest among them... ;) stephen