Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wrap

Friday night, I had planned to do an hour spin out on the trainer to get the legs ready for the P-ride. Unfortunately, life got in the way, and, I was only able to get about 30 minutes of riding with Frank n Andy. I did about 305 KJs, and, was satisfied with what I did, only because it was so flippin' late (10pm when I got off!).

I woke up for the P-ride the next morning raring to go. I found out that morning that there was a race over in Durham, so, a lot of the guys were over there. The group was still pretty big though, and, since I was kind of limited on time (I wanted Amy to get out, and, we had somewhere to go), I decided to try to do as much work in the group and on the front as possible. I closed gaps, ran through the pace line a bunch, and, never once fell off the pace. I felt really good. I ended up setting all kinds of new power number maxes, and, it was a pretty nice day too! I ended the day with 1h 50min & 1158 KJ

Today, I woke up and headed out solo at around 9:30. I was super sore, and, figured I'd just go for an hour or so at a slower pace, only because I want to ride again on Monday & take Tuesday off for yoga. So, I did the "southern" half of the P-ride where all of the hills are. (hopefully I can do it next weekend...but the weather outlook is kinda grim right now). It was a VERY nice rolling ride with some pretty good kickers in there too. It got REALLY warm and I was able to ride without knee warmers! One thing I am dealing with is the fact that my right leg is weaker than my left. I assume it's been like this for a long time now, and I blame the lack of yoga & flexibility. That being said, I tried to really focus on a smooth pedal stroke to recruit the VMO of my quad so as to force the hip to stop bringing the foot up and over. See, what's happening is my hip is "locked" up the whole pedal stroke, and essentially I pedal with my right hip instead of my right leg. I've really focusing on stretching and massaging out any kinks in my hip as much as possible. Also, working on balance and core to help break the spasm.

I was feeling really good, and, was just riding. I finished with 1h 55min 1375KJ. A GREAT day! I couldn't believe I did more work today than yesterday, and, solo too! I didn't really slack off once. Legs feel pretty good right now, and they're sore, but, a good night's sleep will help.

Here are few pics from the day (the lense was foggy from sweat it was so warm. It topped out at like 68 degrees I think):
Dairyland road heading out of town (this is like the "32nd Ave" of NC. All Roads branch off of Dairyland)

Dairyland itself...and boy does it smell like it!

Climbing up a small roller on White Cross Road

Heaing up River Rd

Descending down Lamont Norwood

Descending down the final part of Damascus Church Road

University Lake just on the edge of town coming in from the west/southwest

No comments: