Monday, July 29, 2013

Shimless self promotion

So this weekend was a super fun weekend on the bike & off. We had a great time as a family doing fun kiddo things like riding the city bus, going to the park, and going out for breakfast. Great times!

Saturday, I opted not to ride as Amy was not feeling well...I think she got the funk that I had, and now her body was gettin' down P-funk style. I hung with Wyatt most of the day, while mom napped with Marlowe, and Wyatt and I played a whole lotta trucks. It rained late in the day on Saturday, so Wyatt and I went out and did some food shopping so we could get some "exercise". We parked at the far end of the lot,  walked all the way down to the Dollar Store to get a new bucket/etc for the upcoming beach trip, and walked all the way back to the grocery store to run around. Yeah...when it rains, the supermarket makes a great playground!

Sunday, I opted for a mountain bike ride. I'd made some cleat changes and WOW. I had ZERO issues with any part of my body during, or AFTER the ride. I'm so psyched I found that article! I was having a good ride in the forest, and decided to do the Inner & Outer Loops which take about an hour total (including to.from the house). The trails are tighter than most of the others, and also very dynamic when it comes to direction changes (i.e. there are a lot of turns!!). I was attempting to really nail the cornering techniques I learned with Lee McCormack earlier in the summer. I was doing well, until I decided to look down breifly and check my leg extension on the downstroke to see if I needed to raise or lower my seat as a result of the cleat reposition. WHAM. My left hand and fingers got crushed between the brake lever and a tree, and the handlebars swung back and absolutely SLAMMED my freakin knee cap. I about collapsed on the trail I was in so much pain. It's the kind of pain that you get when you don't quite know if you've broken something, but are pretty sure you're going to throw up either way. I was able to finish the ride, and the more I rode the more it loosened up. Phew. Crisis averted, for now at least!

As I was heading down the last descent of the trail I heard a huge BAM. I figured it was just a rock that came up and hit my downtube. Later, I found that I'd lost 3 freakin' crank bolts!!! I had to hoof it all the way home and couldn't even coast as it was all uphill. Garr!!

Today's ride was pretty plain. It'd been 4 days since a solid road ride, so, I just kinda "rode". My body still felt "meh", but overall, the ride went well. I opted to pull ALL shims out of my road shoes and make a simliar adjustment to my road cleats as I did to my mountain cleats. So far, it worked fine. I'll know more tomorrow if I'm sore or not, but, my bruised knee seemed to be the only thing that really was a problem.

The rest of the week is 100% iffy.  I have long all-day meetings coming up Wed-Friday, and tomorrow Amy is working so I'm on work & kid duty.

No comments: