Today was a forced rest day. My body was way achy from the mtb ride (more on that shortly), and with both kids being sick recently, I felt like I was getting a fever. I had some vertigo, a pounding headache, and just plain ole general malaise. Bleccch. I woke up this morning feeling much better after a few aspirin, and just opted to rest. I also got a last minute call re: Chiro/Art appointment that I decided to take in order to rearrange my body.
It'd been almost 6 weeks since I'd ridden my mountain bike, so I had some serious out of whack anatomy from the different positioning. One thing I noticed was that my ankles, calves, and most specifically peroneal muscles were KILLING me. My mtb shoes are a little bigger than my road shoes but that's to accommodate winter socks. I'd made the mistake over the past few years of wearing shoes too small and ending up with bruised toes. Damn they hurt. So, anyway, these shoes don't have any shims or anything on them, and I wanted to see if any of these pains were caused by this, or, anything else that I could correct. I dig a little creative web-searching and found this article on cleat positioning and injury. Sure, ti's for look-style road cleats but the overall concepts made enough sense that I have opted to try to make some of the changes myself.
Furthermore, I talked with the Chrio/ART guy this morning and he confirmed the suspicions I had regarding my cleats being too far forward. So, this weekend will see some positioning changes with the cleats, and maybe a saddle shift forward or something. I'm really interested in seeing if the shims on my road shoes are still needed though. For that, I'm going to try to schedule a fit with a local fit guru.
That's all for now. Just drinking a lot of water and trying to rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment